Fish-A-Thon 2013 musky trip

Handlebarz

Well this year my wife and I had a auction again in support of the Fish-A-Thon for a cure as we did in 2012 I had donated a trip out fishing Lake St.Clair casting for musky Cliff and Will from the OFC board won that trip with a great high bid. We are still trying to get that trip in as both dates we tried for so far did not work out but we have another date set for November when these musky will be nice and fat ready to eat.

On be half of Handlebarz musky lures we also donated a bunch of baits shirts and other stuff for the prize table I had decided that we needed to add another trip fishing musky with me to the prize table so we did. A awesome guy Chris picked this as one of his big prizes as he had the most donations over $3000 I think it was. He also had the big fish for the day and the GRAND SLAM so he had top 3 choices on the prize table which he deserved he kicked butt on all areas donations and fish. I had very high hopes of great karma for the trip as it just felt great and I was on the big fish for the last couple trips.

We head out early well not really by 7am after breaking my skeg on my motor we were off to find some LSC musky things started off great I gave the guys a quick rundown on how to use the baitcasters (Chris new what to do but never with a big musky sized reel) and they were chucking baits like mad.I did not fish for the first half hour or so just helped giving them pointers on the figure 8 and other things to look for and do when casting musky. It was not long before Jeff his friend had a follow that is awesome when you get to watch a person have there first follow from a musky. (right Lew I bet you still remember my first follow I know I do we both had out huge smiles on) Any way Jeff did not get the fish to eat so I gave him a couple more pointers on things to change when doing a figure 8 he had a few more follows with out a hook up. I had pictures of them casting but they are on Jeff's camera not mine cant share them.

they let me know its ok for me to start to fish so I do I wanted to be sure they were set up well before I started to cast. well it did not take long before I had a awesome musky following up on my Mammoth double 12 it was awesome as jeff came over and watched the big girl follow the bait in the figure 8 for three turns before she ate after a quick fight Chris netted it like a pro.

she measured 51.5"

IMG_3121_zps03497cbb.jpg

Well the day went on with a bunch more follows for all of us but the fish were slow following which is why I had the mammoth on as its been great for slow fish this year. I had the guys switch up to bulldogs and sledges which both brought follows and the second fish of the day for Chris it was his first musky 38" he was super stoked to get it as was I.

IMG_3122_zps359b0f97.jpg

I must say thank you to Ryan and Dan for hosting and putting all the hard work and time into the Fish-A-Thon and there wives all there family and friends I will not mention them all here as there are way to many board members here that work there butts off for this great event most of us know who they are from picture takers to cooks to backing boats in and out every part is just as important.

I wish I did not miss this years event but I was in Orallia dropping my daughter off at OELC leadership camp so I had to make that choice and she was so proud as was I that she was picked from her school to go represent them there that is a moment I would not get a chance to make again unlike the Fish-A-Thon whcih will be back this July so I hope to see you all there this summer.

Me to will I'm sure it will happen just like last year we had put off the trip a few times then doubled on 52" plus 48,49 and smaller ones lets shoot for that again.

Lew that smilie face was you in the front of the boat for sure. Even bigger when the other guy broke his line