Best Fishfinder/GPS/Mapping Unit

Stoty

Hey everyone,

I am looking to buy a good Fishfinder/GPS/Mapping unit for my boat, and need a little help figuring out which one to buy.

What I am looking for is:

- Colour fishfinder

- Built-in GPS

- Spots for memory sticks, so I can download maps of Ontario lakes.

Which is the best unit to go with?

What "mapping" software is the best for lakes in Ontario?

I have looked at the Eagle FishElite 642c iGps. Is this one of the top units?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

You can reply to this or email me at [email protected]

Thanks in advance,

*Stoty*

I just bought the lowrance LMS-334c iGPS. It is a 200khz sonar gps combo, colour display,,480vx480v, internal gps=waas antenna.

It has a 5" diaganol screen. There are much larger models available. It has a slot for a reusable sd card up to 1gb

I chose this one after going out with eye-tracker for a day on Quinte. He has of course the much more advanced unit but I cant afford that. I bought mine at Gander Mountain in the states for 545 american. Up here at LeBarons it was 845 plus tax.

It is a very nice unit. Hope this gives you a start.

Any of the Lowrance "X" Series are VERY GOOD sonar and GPS units. I installed a X-19 for a friend a couple of years ago. I was amazed at the detail that unit had. We could zoom right into his driveway with the software that came with the unit. However, be prepared to spend some major bucks for a X or LCX unit from Lowrance. They start out at about $750 - $2,250 US. It the software that your paying for. The more the cost the better the mapping the unit already has.

Great, thanks for the help!

I will take a look at the Lowrance models, but am not sure if I want to spend that much!!

I was hoping to spend in the $500-700 range.

What about software, the eagle website has a few different pieces of software available (HotSpots, etc).

Do most of the units come with software? How do I download map data?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make sure I do my research before spending a bunch of money!

well im like bager shark i just got the new LMS 339 IGPS /dumb ass LOWRANCE ,it has internal gps/no puck required,so its amazing and it also has navionics sd/chip compatible,its great and will do almost everything but its the old saying you only get what you pay for....it also will depend on what kind of fishing you will do the most,mine also has a dual frequency for deep fish and can show minnows down at 200ft no problem,so the options are endless so decide what you want it for and we can help you for sure.....cheers :thumbsup_anim:

I will mainly be fishing lakes around the Kawartha chain, so they are all relatively shallow.

I will be targeting bass/walleye/pike/crapppie.

I see that BPS has an Eagle FishElite 502C iGPS on sale right now.

Is that a decent unit?

I don't need a $1500-2000 unit, even though it would be nice!

I just want something that will function as a fishfinder/GPS, with the capability to store topo map information.

Would that eagle be a good bet?

I purchased the Eagle fishstrike 2000 last year and love it. My father inlaw liked it so much he sold his and bought the same unit. It has a seven inch screen and was $800. You will have to buy the map software after you purchase the unit in my opinion Navionics gold is the way to go. For me any Eagle or Lowrance product is hard to beat.

I purchased the same unit as taper last November for the Quinte trip - was very impressed.

I just received the gold + chip and will try it out this weekend. I bought my finder at Radio World on Steeles - had them on sale for $649.99 - great buy - and an awsome unit, plus any problems with it and they can be repaired right in Mississauga.

Don

Thats great, I will have to look that unit up!

Eagle is a decent make then?

I am going up to BPS Friday morning to check out the selection they have.

THey have the Eagle FishElite 642c iGps on sale right now for $649.

Thanks again for all the input.