Manitoulin Island - Kagawong Lake

oates

Hey guys,

A friend of mine has been pushing me to see Manitoulin Island for a few years. Finally, I decided to give it a shot. I have two kids so it seems like an adventurous place. I don't see too much discussion or posts re: Manitoulin Island or Kagawong Lake. I'm wondering if anyone has fished the area or lives up there. I chose Kagawong over Lake Manitou since the later has no bass and I thought it might be tough targeting only Lake Trout (no experience) and perch.

If anyone has any advice, I love to fish rivers by foot (wading) and would like to find fishing areas one can hike to (off the beaten track).

Plan of attack:

Bass (dropshot - worms, minnows, tubes (coffee infused), topwater crankbaits (where viable), spinners).

Walleye (crankbaits, jigs)

Catfish (dropshot minnows)

Trout (not sure, thinking spinnerbaits and cranks)

Spending a week, was originally planning 2-3 days but too far + what if it rained those days!

Should be an adventure, any tips or advice appreciated, is it safe to eat from Huron? Are all the great lakes polluted?

Thanks

If you are bringing your kids as indicated, check out Providence Bay Beach... one of the nicest beaches anywhere! Great place to spend a day with the family and score big points with she who will be obeyed...

Sorry, can't help yah re the fishing, I have only fished the far western part of the island.

HH

I have fished Lake Manitou - lots of Small Mouth. I have also gone out West Bay for Salmon - need down riggers, etc. The lake I tend to fish the most though is Bass Lake - just outside of little current:

http://www.manitoulintourism.com/portfolio/sheguiandah/.

I have caught Perch, Small Mouth, Large Mouth (my personal best is from that lake - 5/6 pounds), Pike, and Muskie (nothing big on the Muskie side - but I have never really targeted them either).

If you are looking for a little lake, with not a lot of area to search in, it is pretty good - though not sure how many keepers you will pull out - but it can be a lot of fun.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Tackle box loaded up and ready to roll out tomorrow morning via grand bend, goderich, tobermory and the ferry. Kids excited!

Edited by oates