Trout At Fifty Point

coolwater

I was just wondering if anyone believes that the rainbows are fished out at this time of year. I have taken the grandkids there several times and others I've met said they think they are just about fished out. I started to take them there around the beginning of July and caught 5 trout since then, but nothing in the last three times. I've heard they do not stock anymore this year?? Has anyone ever fished the section closest to the lake for trout? I'm not all too familiar with the ponds but others have said that the trout move around a lot, but I tend to think they stay in deeper water where its cold. Any thoughts or opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

I certainly would not describe those ponds as 'cold', and am kind of surprised to hear that you even caught triploids after July, seeing as they don't appear to be very hardy fish. I think the conservation authority stocks them starting at trout opener, weekly, for about a month and a half, then stops, and lets them get fished out. This is what a park worker told me, so I don't have any online info to back it up, just word of mouth..

So basically, to answer your question, no, they don't stock anymore this year, and I would think that the majority of the population would be dead/fished out (except for the few odd stragglers that possibly have survived).

also, @shasta in response to your PM, this should help out as well,

But basically if I were you and wanted to take some little kids fishing, if you had your heart set on catching a domesticated rainbow trout, there are a lot of fish-farm style places where you can actually go and catch your fish, then you usually weigh it and they charge you by the pound. If you don't want to pay the high prices, there are a lot of little ponds and whatnot that have panfish and bass in them, actually I remember seeing a lot of small sunfish when I was at 50 point pond.

thanks northernpike5391 I usually fish the near end (gate end) and am told it is 25 ft. deep and probably the coldest part of the ponds. (cold is a relative term here) We did have good luck in July fishing this area with Powerbaits although the fish were small. I'm not familiar with the term "triploids" although I have heard it somewhere.

when I say triploid I mean a rainbow trout that has been genetically altered so that it can not produce, I think they don't even have reproductive organs. People created these because they can grow way more rapidly and become more fat than a real rainbow trout because they don't expand their energy growing reproductive organs, and don't generally have any interest in spawning. Since they cannot reproduce, there wouldn't be as great of a consequence if a bunch of them were to escape.

That's just what I can remember, and if you do a quick google search on them, similar info comes up, I also remember reading something like that they had an extra chromosome, although they're not like a fish with down syndrome, its just in the way that their eggs were fertilized in the lab. Maybe someone who knows a bit more about genetics/the fertilization process can comment on this, I'm really not too sure.

Those triploids live in some pretty stagnant ponds. LPRCA may be more thorough with their stocking, but it never seems hard to get them in either of the stocked conservation areas nearby. One is a pond I wouldn't even expect a bass to live in.

Your best bet, is honestly, a worm or a gulp minnow on a dropshot for those stocked ponds when it's warm.

8" off bottom, sit your rod in a Y-stick, keep the line tight and wait for it. You'll probably have a lot of other fish bite while waiting for a trout.