~~~Boat crack repair 101 ~~Not

oldphart

~~~~Well finally repaired the crack in my bow plate, hardest part for me was just getting down on the ground flat on my back, under the boat. Started my hammaring off the old JB Weld that I had on there, which hadn't held up, and cracked. then using one of those sandpaper wheels, I sanded off all the old gunk I had tried in the past, and got the plate down to bare metal all nicely rought up then drilled 2 small hole at each end of the crack so it wouldn't spread, trying a new product to me JB Marine Weld, says it sets in 25 min. and hardens in 15 hours so I mixd up 2 packs of it squeezing all I could get out of the tubes, on to a clean surface, I allowed it to sit there for 20min. till it was almost firm then use a small scraper applied the Marine Weld to the crack first to get as much up the crack as I could, then spread the rest up both sides of the crack, laying it on thick, didn't want ti applie it too early, otherwize it just drops off. turned on a heat lamp underneath to speed up the drying time. It looks great best job I've ever done. now to get it wet

~~~You just may get that call, I'm hard on my boat, enjoying back lakes and foul weather, and pounding the waves, which really puts a lot of stress on that part of the boat where the bow plate meets the keel. I know I coluld or should have taken out the foreward decks and storage locker, then the foam, and maybe had it welded, put it would have melted the rubber seal between the plate and the hull.