Grand River Advice

Hi there, I have a trailer near Dunnville. I have always fished Erie for perch, but never the grand. With the winds being up this weekend, I was thinking about trying it out as my son is itching to get out (and so am I).

I would be launching out of Port Maitland (near the mouth of the river). Any tips would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Find 30 feet of water off the lighthouse in the lake and drop a pickerel rig or drop shot with a emerald shiner on the hook(s). If you find them work your electronics and follow the school. It's about as simple as that. Haven't heard about anyone slamming perch there yet though and haven't known the river to be a hotbed for perch either, the lake is your best bet for yellows. Good luck, have fun and stay safe. I don't know what the wind will be doing this weekend but the lake has a big chop today.

Opening for walleye is this weekend on the river, keep your eyes open, the river should be busy and that boat launch busy as well.

Anywhere between the dam and port Maitland can be good for walleye. Don't be intimidated by the murky water. Troll 3" cranks with rattles. Some days you need to be pounding bottom in 12' other days only 5' down just about anywhere. Its a great place to work on your trolling game. If you try jigging at the dam, set a time limit. If you dont see a walleye in an hour pull anchor and start trolling.

I always got lots of nice perch, anchoring right in close the the east rock pier at port maitland. A 5 min boat ride, if you putter.

As for trolling eyes, try everywhere until you get a bite. Spros and Big O's, white or chartreuse, or drag a worm harness and catch all sorts of stuff all day.