Spilt Grip cork handle

pidge

As I sit here listening to the Leafs/Sens I'm playin with my newly purchased rod from BassPro last weekend and wonder what's the idea of the split grip on the cork handle? All my other rods have the cork all the way to the butt end, but this rods got the cork near the reel, space, then a

Little cork knob at the button end. What's everyone's take on this design? Just wondering.

Personal preferences aside, it does make a rod lighter and that can make a difference where sensitivity is concerned. But a split grip on a mediocre rod will not turn it into a magic wand. The bare butt section is exposed to the abuse that comes with fishing.

I figured as much KickinFrog, but wasnt sure. Makes sense if cork is getting pricey I guess. As for the sensitivity..I dont know what a $400 rod feels like compared to a $70 combo, but Im sure there are reasons for the hefty price tag. When I deal with the light biters I leave my bail open with my finger on the line for feeling the fish light nibble, close the bail and WHAM!. lol. But thanks again for your input and insight.

I guess I am a bit of a traditionalist, I like a full cork handle.

What about the lack of or "minimalist" foregrip??? Lots of rods are coming out like that now, Daiwa - Abu Garcia - Berkley to name a few.... looks weird.

Burt :)

I wanted a new musky rod for bucktails & spinnerbaits last year so I got myself an 8' MH St. Croix Legend Tournament and paired it up with a Calcutta TE.

I used it all of last season and can honestly say it's the nicest musky pole I've ever used and just it feels right to me. Don't know if it has anything to do with the split grip or not, but it sure is sweet. The balance & weight is absolutely perfect.

004-1.jpg

That ^ better be a "before" pic Lew, otherwise that cork is too clean. ;)

Lol.... this is one reason I hate working in a new rod, clean cork...... its nice when you have a well used favorite and the cork wears to a nice dark "patina"...

Burt :)

No matter what the rod companies tell you about "lighter", "more sensitive", or anything else it all comes down to $$$.

High quality cork is hard to find and CRAZY expensive right now. The solution for factory rods is to use the lowest grade cork they can find, and jam it with as much filler as possible. Then minimize the total amount they use, and trick us with fancy marketing speak.

The first split grip I saw was in an article about some pro who had customized his Flipping stick back in 2001.

This guy only Pitched and Flipped, so he built a rod with almost no cork and very few guides, to reduce the weight.

In a tournament, he felt this helped reduce fatigue.

I think split grips caught on with custom rod builders because it gave them a savings on cork, but also because the open space gave them another place to add thread work etc. The swoopy profile also helped to make their work stand out.

As rod companies jumped on this new style, one high end rod company exec. was quoted as saying that split grips were more costly to make, than their same rod with a straight grip, because of the extra time needed to fit them and do the clean-up work etc. However he went on to say, that at that time, (4-5 years ago) their customers were buying about 20% more of their rods with split-grips, so that's what they were making.

In the past I have had some issues with the knob end of the butt snagging on loose cloths.

This was with a rod that had EVA handles, and the problem might have been exacerbated by my big belly...Grin.

Anyway, cork is much less catchy and I don't have any trouble in Tee Shirt weather.

Garry2rs

I had a split foam grip Berkley rod from the early 90s. They have been around but these days its all about the dollars involved in making the rods. Cork is expensive and is getting more expensive. With wine, the most expensive thing is the bloody cork, not the grape juice that fills the bottle. Rods have gotten a bit out of hand when it comes to price. Used to be a hundred dollar rod was crazy expensive, now the sky is the limit. If you like the way it feels with the particular reel you will be using then go for it.