Key River Water Levels

brw

Friends:

Planning a trip to NE corner of Geo Bay this June and heard that we may not even be able to get up/through The Key River due to ever lowering water levels. If true this is alarming since as far as I can remember we've always been able to navigate the Key.

Any insight or scuttlebutt much appreciated.

Cheers.

My personal feeling is you'll be fine as long as you stick to the marked channel and take it slow.

Went down the Key two summers ago to look at an island cottage for sale in the delta area and it was fine.

Tons of rocks lurking under the surface though, you do have to be careful.

Lots has changed since then Mike. Water levels are back to 1964's lowest level and many that bought "waterfront" through the 80's and 90's, when the bay was about 1.5Metres higher, have found themselves with nothing but a mud hole where their dock should go!

We went last year and made it up and back but I've heard that currently it's now worse than it was last year, and last yr was a close shave...I also wonder what effect it all has on walleye populations, and if it is driving fish into deeper water sooner than what is "normal" for seasonal patterns...

Musky fishing with Andy this fall.... 2 weeks apart... water had dropped almost a foot and a half and it wasn't just the "tide" going out for a change. I'm trying to find a picture of picnic island in HHarbour I received a few weeks ago.. it'll scare ya!

Edited by irishfield