Ivanhoe Lake Experience?

finja

Thinking of staying on Ivanhoe. Any experience on this lake and what we can expect? Looking for a nice drive-to lake with decent fishing and hopefully a chance for a trophy or two. Walleye and pike are the main species we want to target.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

The whole Ivanhoe area is phenomenal I spend most of my summer nights and weekends out around there (i live in timmins). I don't fish Ivanhoe lake often, but I know people that do. Plenty of walleyes,pike, and small mouth. If you go through the lodge there are quite a few fly in lakes as well. I know several people that have caught 10+ pound walleyes in the lake (my uncle has 2, 10 pounders stuffed in his basement that he caught on back to back nights!) Myself I fish a lot of the smaller lakes around Ivanhoe and the Ivanhoe river a lot. I guarantee you will not be dissapointed fishing there!

I stayed at Red Pine a few years ago. I agree, it's a nice lake. We caught a bunch of pike, a few perch and walleye. I don't think we ever managed to hit on some good Walleye fishing during that week though. However, we had some bad weather that kept us off for a couple of days and really restricted our movement on the other days. The "river" area is pretty nice. Plenty of interesting places to fish in there. It's probably the third body of water that I have personally fished that holds true Jumbo perch as well (the others being Simcoe and Kabinakagami).

There's a really beautiful beach on the lake as well. It runs across the Red Pine property and into the Provincial Park on the NE side. I am not sure that if that park is open any longer as it was one of the parks scheduled to be closed.

I'd probably go back some day, but I'd stay at one of the boat in outposts operated by Red Pine or Air Ivanhoe. Red Pine was a bit too much of a trailer park for my liking. Although, the cottages on the beach front looked really nice. When I went, I booked last minute and was in a cottage in the middle of the trailer park....so, it wasn't my ideal vacation by far.

You should also consider Lady Evelyn Lake. It's a boat in and the walleye fishing is quite good. It's stil one of my favorite lakes. I am sure you could bring in your own boat with some planning as well.

Good luck!

FIshlogic, just informing you it was announced this week that Ivanhoe provincial park is going to be 1 of 3 i believe that is going to remain in operation. It will be open for at least the next 2 years and be monitored to see how it is going.

FIshlogic, just informing you it was announced this week that Ivanhoe provincial park is going to be 1 of 3 i believe that is going to remain in operation. It will be open for at least the next 2 years and be monitored to see how it is going.

Glad to hear that =)

I've been to Horwood, but we struggled a bit on that lake for a variety of reasons. I would like to go back though because I know it has a lot to offer.

FishLogic I am a fishing guide in the Timmins area and horwood lake in my mind is the best lake we have here in the north. Plenty of big fish and lots of walleye between 17-22 inches. Everytime out last summer someone in my boat has got one over 27" and lots over 25". An average day out there for me is 50-75 walleye and there has been many times that I have had over 150 fish days.

Hey targa wanna go out there with me one day? haha I have a 16 ft alumacraft utility and 20hp merc. We do good out there but no where near those numbers for a day very often haha. If your a guide do you know many brook trout spots in that area? My goal this spring is to improve my skills and locations for them.

Hey Tayzak, I figured a few things out on horwood that no else does and the walleye go nuts for. Basically eveyone that fishes that lake just drops anchor and jigs. But theres more to walleye fishing than jigging haha. Also the different structure I have found on Horwood using my hds 10 and strucutre scan is also another key to my succsess. For Brookies I would recomend going down the foleyet timber road. lots of lakes back there fill with trout, but other than that I just focus on guiding and fishing for walleye. The main lakes I guide on are Mattagami lake, Kenogamissi lake, and Horwood Lake.

FishLogic I am a fishing guide in the Timmins area and horwood lake in my mind is the best lake we have here in the north. Plenty of big fish and lots of walleye between 17-22 inches. Everytime out last summer someone in my boat has got one over 27" and lots over 25". An average day out there for me is 50-75 walleye and there has been many times that I have had over 150 fish days.

I have no doubts it's a good fishery. I've seen plenty of reports to back that up and is the reason we went. I think it wasn't productive for us for a variety of reasons. One being that we are not used to fishing such deep water. We were down Hardiman Bay, which as you know, is narrow, steep and quite deep. Our typical experience fishing for walleye has always been in 8 to 15 FOW. So, it took us a while to figure out what would and wouldn't work. We did have a couple good nights using jigs and Gulp minnows though - once we travelled far enough down the bay into 15-20FOW near the islands. I just have a thing about going to a semi-remote fishery and having to drive the boat 20-30 minutes away to find good fishing.

Anyway, like I said, I would definitely go back there, but would fish the areas around Herman's Point.

Tayzak15 I don't fish trout that much but there is a lot of lakes down that road with trout, Harry is a very good lake trout lake. Im going to try to post some pics from horwood from the past summer.

Edited by Targa01

I'm definately not as knowledgeable as Targa and Tyzak with respect to Ivanhoe, but I've been there a few times, and in my opinion, for the driving distance there's better alternatives, Ivanhoe's pretty busy, quite a bit of fishing pressure too,

Nice, looking forward to seeing them! How much do you charge for a day on horwoon? im sure me and one of my buddies would be willing to head out for a day to learn the lake better.

For a full day guided trip on horwood I charged $350 for 2-3 people. I supply everything used for fishing, check out my website at www.northernangling.ca

I tried to post pics but they didn't work, Ill figure it out tho.

Finja another good lake to try would be Mattagami lake, it has several lodges on the lake and you don't have to travel that far by boat. Lots of fish in the 17-20 inch range with a good chance for a wall hanger.

Targa, thanks for the feedback. I'll take a look at Mattagami.

Chris, what would you recommend for better fishing?

Ramsey Lk- http://www.rayscamps.com/ would be my top pick

or Bisco- http://www.greyowlcamps.com/ or http://www.ritchiesendoftrail.com/

but for the price and drive, I would fly in for $800 per person- http://www.outpostcamps.com/

Finja, if you are looking for a fly in lake try Ivanhoe Air's Oswald Lake. One of the best walleye lakes I have ever fished in my life. average walleye is 18-22 inches with many over 25". Easy to catch 200 fish a day and it has a great pike population also.

I would like to try fly-in but that's not an option for the folks I'm with this year. I have a couple of options to look at, now going to give some of these lodges a call to see what's available.

Thanks for the insight.

Hey there Finja i have been fishing the Foleyet area for a few years now and have never been dissapointed i have fished many lakes off of some of the logging roads while up at moose camp with great success with that being said if you choose to fish Ivanhoe lake and stay at Ivanhoe Lodge you will not be dissapointed George Jeanne and Joel run a top notch operation

and will give you all the information you need to have a succsesful trip and the lodging is awesome with all the comforts of home i have gone on four fly ins with air ivanhoe and always stay in the duplex log cabins in behind the main lodge the day before we fly in to our outpost camp i have also stayed over at Red Pine Lodge wich is right next door but my first choice would be Ivanhoe Lodge

If you would like more info send me a pm and would be glad to help you out in anyway.

Cheers Mitch.....