Hard Fought Interesting Day

tapout

Headed out to Virginia Beach to try for some perch. Well I can say I found lots Jumbos, but catching lots, well thats another story. I moved around quite a bit till I found them. I did my usual belly to the ice looking down the hole thing. I dropped down my favorite tried and tested lure and jigged and jigged and jigged some more before they moved in, accompanied by some small minnow sized perch. Very few would take anything I threw at them. I caught half a dozen from 10 - 12 inches, along with a few surprise catches as well. I caught 2 large mouth bass which went right back in. I'm not a bass fisherman and have never caught them before. That was my 1st and 2nd of those. They were small. About 12 inches. Also unexpected was a channel cat about 13 or 14 inches. First one of those for me. Back down it went. I wasn't done yet with the multiple species as I had also iced a white crappie. Again that too was on the smaller end of the scale. Only about 8 or 9 inches. It was also sent back down the hole. First one of those as well. I also saw cruise by my hole some of the biggest suckers I've ever seen. I'm guessing they were at least 2 - 2 and half times larger then the biggest perch I caught which was 12inches. They showed no interest in my lure and minnow at all. Just cruised right on by.

All in all it was a good day to be out.

Cheers,

Tony

@Chris...I didn't know either. I've caught black crappie before and this one definitely wasn't that. I had to look it up before I posted to make sure and it definitely looks like the pic I looked at.

@ pidge.... I found them in about 12 - 13 fow. The closer I moved towards the huts the smaller they got. It was frustrating looking down the hole and seeing some bruiser perch eyeing my bait but wouldn't take and would

slowly swim away :wallbash:

Though nothing is big for you that day, like the multi- species reporting.

Anything in Simcoe has the potential to reach great size. White crappie, largemouth bass,channel cats aren't often targeted out there.

I remember 20 yrs. ago fishing near Beaverton for walleye, last week of March, and catching 15 lb. walleye and seeing near 20 lbers come through the ice.

The fish in Simcoe can get huge.

Suckers????? Ya sure bud? I think they might of been whities. They do look like a sucker in the water.

Nice report and multi day.

I've never caught a whitie before but it crossed my mind at the time that maybe they were, just from the shear size of them. Aren't whities more in the deeper water? I was only in about 12 fow. They came around when I was using my small williams half and half to try and produce some flash to attract some perch. I had a Russian hook tipped with a minnow right near bottom at the same time but nada.

Edited by tapout

Could of also been a school of herring in that depth?A couple weekends ago they were circling just below the hole.At first glance,looks like a whitefish.

These were right on bottom and much too large to be a herring. My biggest perch was 12 inches and I saw it on the bottom as it took my minnow and these fish must've been something like 24 - 30 inches long or more.