Field and Stream Magazines Dating Back to 1969 for Discussion

Sharkbait22

Surfing the net tonight I came across a collection of old Field and Stream magazines dating back to 1969. They are priceless. The advertisements alone are worth a look. The articles seem more “sportsman” or “woodsmen” oriented with lots of good information for the adventurous. Interesting to see how techniques and gear has changed and not. Might be interesting for any outdoor writers. I’ll be bookmarking the url. Better than a dusty pile of mags in the basement or the absence thereof.

http://books.google.ca/books/serial/ISSN:87558599?rview=1&lr=&sa=N&start=480

Zoom if the print is small

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-VINTAGE-GARCIA-ANNUAL-FISHING-TACKLE-CATALOGS-ambassadeur-mitchell-fans-/130848801715?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e773243b3

I used to pick these up any time I saw them at garage sales, just judging from the current price and bidding activity the market is down for them, if that is what they actually end up going for,

At one time I collected Abu reels and to a collector they made good trade bait, still have some around, as with Abu reels.

I have a pretty substantial collection of old fishing and hunting magazines, which take up a fair amount of space in my basement. There are a lot of old Field & Streams and Outdoor LIfes dating back to the 1940s, old In-Fisherman magazines from the mid-70s (when the spring issues were over 300 pages), some early 70s Fishing Facts issues, and a couple of late 60s Ontario Fisherman and Hunter (now Ontario Out Of Doors) newspapers. Plus a bunch of tackle catalogues, most of which were gathered at the sportsmen's show each year.

I agree, the ads are the best - especially from the ones from right after WW2. I'll see if I can scan one or two when I have more time to find them. There's an Evinrude one in particular, showing a drawing of soldiers in a landing craft powered by an Evinrude outboard, charging toward the Normandy beaches. The text says something about "if it's good enough to defeat the nazi menace, it's good enough for you." Complete fantasy of course, but interesting approach by today's standards.

There's another one ... Marboro cigarette ad .... where the guy has just come home and given his wife a bunch of fish to clean. The implication is if you smoke Marboros, you can catch a lot of fish and have a hot chick in high heels waiting to clean them for you. Hysterical stuff!

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

• 3 weeks later...