Tournament Partner Draw computer program

lhousesoccer

My bass club has recently doubled in size, due to absorbing bunch of members from another club that was falling apart. Our club tournament format is random partner draw for each event. It was easy with just a few guys - literally names in two hats - Hat 1 Boaters, Hat 2 Non-Boaters. It will be a little more complicated this year with more members, and some rule changes, like we're trying to avoid the same two guys getting drawn together multiple times, and if we have odd numbers and a boater ends up fishing alone, no boater will be required to do this more than once per season when possible.

Anyways, I know I've heard about or seen computer programs that will help with the random draw format, but I can't seem to find any with the operative word (freeware). Anyone have one that works well that can be shared?

Yes, usually we have an even number. Occasionally, we'll be one or two non-boaters short, and then what we do is when only boaters remain in the hat, the first one to come out of the boaters hat is the boater and the next one is the non-boater. This is all done the night before, so no one shows up with a boat but can't fish out of it.

You can use Microsoft excel to randomize a column....

So you put your boaters in column "A" and non boaters in column "B"

You randomize either column for completely random partnering... But this will not prevent one angler from being solo more then once.... Nor will it prevent the same two anglers from pairing up more then once.... Trying to eliminate those two criteria remove the "Random" concept....

Fairly easy to write something but it means you will need to track the previous draw results. Rand boater, rand non boater if pair was drawn prior redraw. However it may just be easier to do it by hand.

How many teams are you talking about? Anything under 30 teams and I would say its gonna be easier to do it by hand.

What we do is use cards

List the boaters and non boaters

Give each boater 1,2,3... And each non boater 1,2,3,....

Then we write 1-total number of pairs on two decks on cards

Shuffle each deck. Then flip cards for the pairs

If u keep records for every pairing it's easy to check who has been paired together before