Open water fishing winter brown trout/pike

northernpike56

A friend and I want to try fishing for brown trout and pike tomorrow afternoon at a spot where i confirmed theres open water as of today. Yes it is in lake ontario w/ all year open season.

Has anybody had any luck with anything particular for both those species in open water during winter?

I was thinking something like hj14 husky jerks for pike and then smaller rapalas or worms under a float for brown trout.

Do these work good ? Any other suggestions on presentation, lure choice, etc?

Thanks.

Edited by northernpike56

The browns tend to cruise around in shallow(ish) water this time of year, as do the pike.

For some reason I've found winter browns to be more willing to chase down lures than pike to be honest...

Had some good days on Lake O in late winter/early spring chucking small raps and spinners for brownies

I'm a beacher and nothing is greater than takeing a short walk down to the west end of the board walk and casting J9 and j11's toward the lake side and hooking 5-10 browns ( I know fishermen are Liars , but these guys I have known for years , speak of 20 fish days ????) in a 5 hour day and I have seen many Pike in the 40+ inches class , landed every day Im there . If you guys know ashbridges , now is the time , thru the years (and I still think it was wrong to stock these fish here with no where to spawn, BUT???) they have gotten BIG, my best is still 15+- pounds but friends have gotten way way bigger in the last two years .I'm too old to test the ice on the bog as I have done for 30 years but with the brown fishery and 40+ inch pike in a bay 10 minutes walk from my wife .. GET ATTER boys ... Was out two days ago and after the third brown the wife showed up with a large bowl of chicken soup and a ham and cheese sandwich , and the kiss that went with it ... HEAVEN ON EARTH ... Some times we look far away for something that is just right in front of us ...