Best Fishfinder for Drop Shot Fishing??

reelinrolly

I am currently starting to research different fish finders for my boat for next season. I want one on the bow that would be effective for drop shotting.

What are some of your favourite units you have used??

What sort of things should I watch out for??

Thanks for any tips....appreciate it

What kind of depths? Are you gonne just verticle jig in deeper water for smallies and walleye type thing? If so I would go for a flasher. Down scanners or side scanners are great if you are covering water slowly but if you are trying to finesse stubborn fish while holding a single spot in deeper water a flasher will give you excellent results.

On my ranger I have a hds-8 with full down/side scan and when i am at the front of the boat i have a under 200 bones older hummingbird 140 colour unit when i am jigging or drop shotting that little bird has no problems showing my line going down to bottom in 30 ft it also has rts mode and flasher mode, sometimes I regret the over 3k i have in the lowrance as the bird marks just about as much

That's a pretty basic feature on a graph. Basically you want something sensitive enough to see your bait in 50' or less of water im guessing? If so, any finder will work. My pihranamax 215 ($80 used) shows all that.

Thanks for all the tips guys

I should of specified more. I will mainly be fishing on the St Clair river for smallies and walleye. The river has quite the current.

My depths will range from 10 ft to 70 ft. ( mouth of Lake Huron)

I have a vexilar for ice fishing but didn't know if flashers would be that effective on moving water.

Any finders better in current than others??