Buckhorn crappie mini-report

Jer

After last week's cold weather, we were finally able to get out fishing in comfort on Saturday on a good foot of ice...

DSCF0821_zps0e87852e.jpg

Funny thing about this pic...my wife took it from our dock at about 300 yards with a 24x zoom lens. The far shoreline is probably at least a mile and a half beyond us, well beyond any safe ice for my truck, but it looks like we're only a few hundred yards in front of it.

The day was a bust fish-wise, with only enough dink perch to keep us occupied.

Sunday afternoon we gave Chemong a try for a few hours with even worse results.

The winter crappie bite seems to be an evening thing around here, with usually only a short window at dusk. I got out tonight, but not until almost 5:30 when it was almost dark. I got one hole set-up and was busy with my second line when I looked back and had a fish on the first...

IMG-20130128-00002_zps14e19087.jpg

Unfortunately, it was my only bite of the night...I musta just caught the end of the window. I really need to get home from work earlier.

Anyways, it bodes well for the next 5 or 6 weeks...lotsa ice and every day getting longer...

Nice job.

Just one question. If you only had to go 300 yards, why did you risk driving your nice truck on the ice? Just wondering.

And yes, I think Dodge Dakotas are pretty nice. I like all trucks.

Edited by Cudz

Thanks for your concern regarding my truck, but it's hardly at risk. The ice we were on has been a consistant sheet since mid-December and is now over 12" of black, clear ice.

Both myself and my fishing partner don't walk particularly well, so being able to take the truck is a blessing. We also have a wooden floor made up for the pop-up that's a little bit heavy to be dragging by hand but fits right in the bed of the truck.

Thanks for your concern regarding my truck, but it's hardly at risk. The ice we were on has been a consistant sheet since mid-December and is now over 12" of black, clear ice.

Both myself and my fishing partner don't walk particularly well, so being able to take the truck is a blessing. We also have a wooden floor made up for the pop-up that's a little bit heavy to be dragging by hand but fits right in the bed of the truck.

Cool. Just don't want any members from this board (or from anywhere else) go for a swim.