Heading out on simcoe tomorrow

I thought fetch was the distance between wave peaks? I forget now too..... :rolleyes:

Anyways, if you have open water on one side of the lake, and ice on the other, you'd best be watching the winds. An offshore wind can break the ice off, and send you drifting, like what happened last year on simcoe. An onshore wind, into the ice, will make waves smash into the ice, and possibly break it up. I've heard stories of waves on simcoe breaking up 8" of clear ice they got so big.

Just think, there is ice on the south shore out so far. A big North wind comes up, and those waves are building up for miles, over a long period of time. By the time they reach the ice on the south shore, they are massive. The ice doesn't stand a chance, and will start breaking up.

I've only seen this on simcoe, the great lakes, and the ocean. You need a big body of water for this to happen, and it has to be open with only sections that are iced over.

Make sense?

Just think, there is ice on the south shore out so far. A big North wind comes up, and those waves are building up for miles, over a long period of time. By the time they reach the ice on the south shore, they are massive. The ice doesn't stand a chance, and will start breaking up.

Thats even worse then a West to East. Have been in it,during the summer months. SCARY STUFF Hate to be out there in the winter months and that happen.