Pike at the Paris dam

fishthegrand9f7

I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck while fishing for pike at the Paris dam? More so during the winter season?

I live about a 5 minute walk from the dam and havent heard or seen anyone fish there except myself. No pike, but lots of suckers lol.

It's a sanctuary til trout opener.

The Grand at the dam in Paris is only a sanctuary from Oct. 1st to Nov. 30, this is to protect the smallmouth bass that stack up there in the late fall. It is not a sanctuary now, but don't think it would be worth looking for pike there anyway. I have ony caught one at that dam and that was years ago.

Burt :)

Generally, the grand isnt that great for pike fishing, more well known for smb (which im sure you know are closed right now). If i had my heart set on catching a pike in the grand, i would most likely be at one of the reservoirs right now (shades mills, guelph, belwood, etc.) theres healthy populations of generally smallish pike in each one.

Generally, the grand isnt that great for pike fishing, more well known for smb (which im sure you know are closed right now). If i had my heart set on catching a pike in the grand, i would most likely be at one of the reservoirs right now (shades mills, guelph, belwood, etc.) theres healthy populations of generally smallish pike in each one.

Because it is a flood controled river and the spawning habits of pike. Successful pike recruitment from spawning class on a year to year basis is very low. Pike spawn when the river is in full flood on the floodplain. (This is normal behavior) but then the taps are turned off at the dams and the eggs are left high and dry.

Try the mouths of some of the larger tribs without flood control

Edited by Musky or Specks

Not good for pike ?? where have YOU been fishing it ? (I'll make a note to avoid there :dunno:) - I've had lots of luck fishing it for some fair size (for S. Ont) for years. Right out of down town Galt and up into Blair/Sth Kitchener. Granted it is better known for its SMB I'll agree with you there. But there are nice numbers of Teeth in there too. I wouldn't waste my time though on Shades or Guelph havent caught anything fatter or longer than my forearm out of either in the last 5 years.. And I'm not a tall guy (short arms)