sportsman 500 winter prep

jay27fish

I recently bought a 2012 sportsman 500 ho that i plan on using to ice fish this year this is my first atv. i have been told that to use it in the winter i have to take the plastic gaurds of that cover the a arms and axles so that snow and ice does not build up and rip the cv boots. i took the rear covers off and it looks fine after removing the fronts though it looks like there is not going to be much protection for the front axles so i put them back on. Anyone have any ideas or do anything like this to their quads for the winter? thanks for any advice.

My first bike was a Sportsman 500. I never removed the boot guards when I used it for Ice fishing. However occasionally I did check for build up of ice/ slush when I stopped. I do the same thing with my Outlander 500. I can't recall if there was any time when I need to clear any build up.

I would suggest you make a few trips, check on any buildup before you decide to remove the guards. Ice conditions such as slush and temperature will also have to be taken into account.

20060304MGLakeSimcoe027-1.jpg

I take mine off.. There is little to no risk of hitting sticks in the winter .. and it makes cleaning the snow and slush out of the suspension way easier. After a few trips out, you'll see how much slush gets in there and its very important to have the ice away from the cv boots.

Also, check your gear oil, if milky.. Change it!!

Edited by GYPSY400