December worms

funfishing

If you wanted to pick some December worms your wish is coming true. SOL if you're up north but those in southern Ontario will be able to harvest with all of this impending rain. What better gift to give to your best fishing buddies, than your own freshly picked worms?

I hear steelhead fishing in the tribs really picks up after a good rain, but that might just be a rumour, I'm not really sure sarcasm.gif

In Ottawa your worm picking will look more like this

shoveling-snow1.jpg

News headlines are already reading: "The end of the world is hear! Snow-mageddon 2012: 70cm accumulation by Friday"

yes, yes he does mean that, or you could do what I just did and army crawl on he freezing grass for 2 hours. :)

2 hours! Are you stocking up for the whole winter? Or was it just slim pickings? The last rain we had, they were so easy to pick, you could get a dozen in a couple minutes.

2 hours! Are you stocking up for the whole winter? Or was it just slim pickings? The last rain we had, they were so easy to pick, you could get a dozen in a couple minutes.

I got about 50, they were everywhere but really light sensitive and mostly in the ground, had to work every one out of the ground once you got a hold of it.

I got about 50, they were everywhere but really light sensitive and mostly in the ground, had to work every one out of the ground once you got a hold of it.

Have you tried using a red light? I have a 3 setting headlamp and on the red setting the worms don't react so they don't stand a chance when I pick em. Which is good because I am not as quick as I used to be LOL.

Have you tried using a red light? I have a 3 setting headlamp and on the red setting the worms don't react so they don't stand a chance when I pick em. Which is good because I am not as quick as I used to be LOL.

That could work, I did find about 10 out of their holes but most were half way in the ground.

yes, yes he does mean that, or you could do what I just did and army crawl on he freezing grass for 2 hours. :)

actually, no, that's not what i meant.

i have a perpetual 3 level stacking compost system in the basement that contains thousands of red wigglers or "trout worms". i simply leave a piece of melon rind or banana peel on the surface the day before i want to go fishing and in the morning there will be hundreds of worms munching on the fruit on the surface. it's as simple as opening the lid, flipping over the melon rind, and scooping up whatever i need for the day.

it took longer to type this than it takes to harvest 500 worms without getting a speck of dirt on my hands. :thumbsup_anim:

and no, there is no smell.

stretching a red balloon over the light always worked for me when i was picking worms all the time ;)