bay of quinte

peter23

hey guys, i know its a bit early to be asking but i ju have aquick question. me and my dad want to tr bay of quine for our first. we have been there in the summer 1 or 2 times but never ice fishing. we know ice conditions on BOQ can be dangerous so i was wondering where are the best places to walk out from with a decent distant to a spot? we do have a porable hut, flasher, etc. but no snomobile just our two feet. any certain depths too look for? also any hot lures in BOQ? ive heard ofjigging raps and pimples tipped with minnow heads work. not looking for any hot sotsor secret lures, just some advice to get us out there safe and maybe get a few walleye.

thanks

Peter.

Well, you kinda have to wait and see with quinte. The ice forms different every year, and the current varies with conditions. Its almost day to day down there. Its certainly too early to be asking, that's for sure.

I am a williams whitfish addict. I catch most of my fish in there on that lure. I also like the macho minnows, pimples, and jigging raps. They all work.

The key with quinte is being in a spot where fish are going to travel thru. The fish there are transient. Always moving. So, setting up in a narrows, or location where there is a bottleneck will usually produce fish.

That's about all i can share with ya for now. Once we actually have ice, try again and someone will point you in the right direction.

S.

Yes, Quite is def a year-to-year/day-to-day type of ice fishing place.

There's a few "community" spots where you can walk-out from but again, depends on the ice.

Hopefully the ice will be a lot better than last year.

PM me later in the season when the ice is in, and I'll try and provide some info/safe spots to get out there.

Did the ice fishing at Quinte since early 1990's.

Found that tipping swedish pimples with 2 whole emerald shiners and jigging along breaks from 10-15 ft. or 20-25 ft. etc... worked best. Jigging Raps. Williams wobblers, etc all worked. Seems you have to let lure settle on bottom then rip it up a few feet, let it flutter down and repeat.

Different places all had there time from off Trenton, Belleville, Deserento.

The Long Reach area seemed best from 20-25 ft when ice is safe.

Dress warm and good luck.