Motor issue

esoxansteel

I have a 1993 3 cyl Johnson outboard 60hp, The VRO is unhooked and im pre-mixing 50:1 Amsoil HP oil.

Today i put some fuel stabilizer in a full tank of gas, and when i start the motor, it starts but is wide open, this went on for awhile then it settled down but ran rough, with the motor shaking etc, smoked like hell from the stabilizer, went home and drain all the gas out of her, built in tank by the way.

And put some fresh gas in minus the stabilizer, did the same thing, started wide open, maybe it just has to burn the old fuel out of the carbs before it runs normal? or could there be another issue,

Did a compression test, and all cylinders were as follows top 130 middle 130, bottom 125

Thanx for any help as always folks

Normally any motor will not run wide open unless the throttle linkage is undone/loose allowing the butterflys(throttle plates) to be wide open. I highly doubt the stabilizer had anything to do with the smoking unless you mean fogging oil, that stuff stinks like :asshat:

Edited by Fisherman

I have a 1993 3 cyl Johnson outboard 60hp, The VRO is unhooked and im pre-mixing 50:1 Amsoil HP oil.

Today i put some fuel stabilizer in a full tank of gas, and when i start the motor, it starts but is wide open, this went on for awhile then it settled down but ran rough, with the motor shaking etc, smoked like hell from the stabilizer, went home and drain all the gas out of her, built in tank by the way.

And put some fresh gas in minus the stabilizer, did the same thing, started wide open, maybe it just has to burn the old fuel out of the carbs before it runs normal? or could there be another issue,

Did a compression test, and all cylinders were as follows top 130 middle 130, bottom 125

Could be old gas,but maybe your float screw,or float is sticking part way?Keep priming while it's running and try and get some fresh fuel in there. Just a thought.No priming ball I guess. Fouled plug?

Edited by davey buoy

and when i start the motor, it starts but is wide open, this went on for awhile then it settled down but ran rough, with the motor shaking etc,

Read this again, now I'm wondering what you mean? You mean it runs "wide open" full rpm or it only runs bad with the throttle full open?

Ended up changing both the throttle cable and shifter cable, as they have both had the same amout of use, and if one broke the other is likely not far behind, it wasnt to difficult, and took about 45 minutes to do, making sure both cables were set up correctly, as in shifting from forward to neutral to reverse, and the throttle set correctly as well, a 100.00 bucks for 2 cables and a bit of time, and the experience gained.

Just found the diagnosis on this, and it was a broken throttle cable, and when it broke, it broke so the cable was holding the linkages in a position that was an extremely fast almost wide ope throttle. thanx for everyones help on this one

Thanx for everyones help on the motor issue, it was a cheap fix, and runs great once i got the linkage adjustments right, there is many talents on this board, and it was nice to see some members with motor talents post some possible causes, to get me back out on the water Muskie fishing ASAP with no down time.