Small Mountsberg report

d_paluch

Hey guys! Just a small report if anyone is interested in going to Mountsberg in the near future.

Went yesterday after humming and hawing about it all morning. Picked up my girlfriend after packing up the portaboat and went on my way. Leaving Oakville, the weather was gorgeous! That changed about the time I hit hwy6, haha. After setting up the boat, let me tell you that I am glad I brought my waders, because I would have had to wade through a foot of water and about 8 inches of slop just to get the boat out in the water floating.

Once out there it only got colder and started to rain. Still a fun few hours though, and it was somewhat productive. Fished just off shore (50m or so) from the train tracks and then proceeded to a nice little run we discovered in the spring that we could just drift through and cast. The wind was a bit much for the portaboat, so I threw down the anchor (old 10lb weight). It didn't catch, but I didn't want it to. Slowed the drift down nice enough to make accurate casts to where we wanted to cast without the wind screwing it all up.

The fishing was slow, had a few follows and Rachel missed a decent one, which I later stole from her :P After she missed the fish I immediately tossed a cast in the same spot, just to bug her. A few cranks and a hookset, followed by a smirk, and the fish was caught.

Ended up with 3 cookie cutter pike in about 2.5 hours. Not bad but definitely not my best day @ Mountsberg. Would post pics, but when she went to take the pictures the camera immediately reminded us that the battery was dead.

In closing, if you are planning on going to Mountsberg, fish weedless (which is obvious for anyone who's fished this lake), and bring waders/prepare to get wet and muddy to launch your boat.

Bait of choice was the BooYah Boogee bait in chart/white or purple/white.

I haven't caught anything the last 2 times I've been there (fishing from shore), so don't feel bad, you did pretty good
Same here :( but I usually catch a couple from shore. Water was pretty low esp late summer, last time I was there it was a little higher and I imagine after all the rain we had last week or so it's probably the highest it's been in months.

I enjoy fishing...Mountsberg....haven't been since summer. Someone had mentioned to me also that the water was very low. Last year I fished till the end of November....I'm hoping we get a few nice weekends yet...time will tell!

Will post a report if I make it out. Rubber boats coming along for sure!!

Hello All,

I had to chime in after reading this <chimes> I only discovered Mountsberg about a month ago and I've been back a few times (no boat). Near the damn is decent I have caught a few 4-6 pound Pike and a bunch of small ones (I've only kept 1). The Water levels were very low but after SANDY it has risen quite a few feet. I was there on Saturday morning 1st time I haven't hooked into one, lost 2 expensive subwalkers and got skunked on everything else. Another guy caught a decent 6-8 pounder using dead bait i believe. A few guys fishing just off the tracks had nothing to report.

From what I can tell if you're looking to hook into something at Mountsberg from shore and you're using lures don't forget to parallel cast -just my 2 cents.

Cheers All,

Chapel

Gonefishing.gif

Hello All,

I had to chime in after reading this <chimes> I only discovered Mountsberg about a month ago and I've been back a few times (no boat). Near the damn is decent I have caught a few 4-6 pound Pike and a bunch of small ones (I've only kept 1). The Water levels were very low but after SANDY it has risen quite a few feet. I was there on Saturday morning 1st time I haven't hooked into one, lost 2 expensive subwalkers and got skunked on everything else. Another guy caught a decent 6-8 pounder using dead bait i believe. A few guys fishing just off the tracks had nothing to report.

From what I can tell if you're looking to hook into something at Mountsberg from shore and you're using lures don't forget to parallel cast -just my 2 cents.

Cheers All,

Chapel

Gonefishing.gif

thanks for the heads up! Might see if I can get out there this weekend on the portaboat!

Take care

thanks for the heads up! Might see if I can get out there this weekend on the portaboat!

Take care

Looks like the bigger Pike might be moving closer to shore while the water levels are higher. I don't have any big lures left for northerns, I lost a bunch there searching near the stumps when I didn't know any better. Would love to pick out a few crappie for eating but I haven't seen any pulled from there yet.

I'm gonna try and get there Saturday or Sunday morning but not too early cause last time I was there at 7 an it was dark till 8am maybe try float and fly rig for some crappie or some tiny jigs. Any suggestions for an area to fish for those at mountsberg?

Anyone know how the other side of the lake is? (the entrance gate side)

Agreed.

They're quite likely homicidal pedophiles too. And at home I'll bet they don't even recycle. :devil:

I mean it only stands to reason.

it only stands to reason when :

1 ) THEIR birth certificate is an apology from the condom factory

2) they should keep quite , they will never be the man their mother was

3) they must have been born on a highway cuz thats where most accidents happen

4) It looks like their face caught on fire and someone tried to put it out with a fork

5) Dumbass

6) If they were twice as smart, they would still be stupid

7) Do you have to leave so soon? I was just about to poison the tea.

8) THEY are so ugly that when THEIR mama dropped THEM off at school she got a fine for littering

9) THEIR so ugly Hello Kitty said goodbye to them

10 ) last but not least ..I hear when they were a child their mother wanted to hire somebody to take care of them, but the mafia wanted too much..

Edited by capt bruce

Anyone been there lately, just wondering if the fishing picked up a little or if it's still slow?

I hope that the conditions this summer will not ruin what was a good place to fish. Hopefully, we will have alot of snow this winter and mountsberg will come back. The last time I was there the water level was so low that poeple were parking on what used to be lake bottom.

• 1 month later...

I hope that the conditions this summer will not ruin what was a good place to fish. Hopefully, we will have alot of snow this winter and mountsberg will come back. The last time I was there the water level was so low that poeple were parking on what used to be lake bottom.

Hi guys,

I've been back a few times since. Not many Larger fish but a ton of 3-4 lbs I went mid november for an hour and caught 8 in an hour of daylight. (all CNR)

I went back 2 days ago after work and I thought the few days of + degree temp would be good but there was a sheet of ice over Mountsberg. I decided to try Kelso on my way home no ice there for some reason. Kelso dropped to its winter levels and it was about 10 ft lower than in the summer. no bait fish no bites in 2 hours and threw everything in the tackle box. <Shurgs> oh well time for a switch and try to fish in the rivers i guess. I'm noob at river fishing I'm gonna search for a spot I can float fish with my spinning rod/reel no idea what to expect but I'll report back.

If anyone knows a spot they dont mind sharing I could use the pointers. I had a spot in 16 mile but the fish seemed to have disappeared from that spot since the temp dropped.

Cheers,

Chapel

Edited by Chapel

Hi guys,

I've been back a few times since. Not many Larger fish but a ton of 3-4 lbs I went mid november for an hour and caught 8 in an hour of daylight. (all CNR)

I went back 2 days ago after work and I thought the few days of + degree temp would be good but there was a sheet of ice over Mountsberg. I decided to try Kelso on my way home no ice there for some reason. Kelso dropped to its winter levels and it was about 10 ft lower than in the summer. no bait fish no bites in 2 hours and threw everything in the tackle box. <Shurgs> oh well time for a switch and try to fish in the rivers i guess. I'm noob at river fishing I'm gonna search for a spot I can float fish with my spinning rod/reel no idea what to expect but I'll report back.

If anyone knows a spot they dont mind sharing I could use the pointers. I had a spot in 16 mile but the fish seemed to have disappeared from that spot since the temp dropped.

Cheers,

Chapel

a. mountsberg has been closed since the 30th of November.

b. bass season has also been closed since the 30th of November.

These regs are in place for a reason, especially for smaller waterbodies like that. Please respect them, so we will have something in the future..

Edited by northernpike56

a. mountsberg has been closed since the 30th of November.

b. bass season has also been closed since the 30th of November.

These regs are in place for a reason, especially for smaller waterbodies like that. Please respect them, so we will have something in the future..

Yup, also you can't fish from the cnr...

wow ok

in this case CNR does mean Catch aNd Release

"2 Days ago" the Lake was frozen over. So no fishing was done.

and Mountsberg is not closed you just can't keep Pike or Bass from the lake after Nov 30 as posted. but you can still fish for Crappie and Sunfish and Channel Cats.

I could be wrong but as I'm reading ontario regulations Pike are open till Dec 31 in that zone (16), correct? (unless otherwise posted. Like they have at Mountsberg's Parking areas).

anyway I asked 2 Halton conservation workers that were there (nice guys). And they had no issues with fishing the lake as long as you weren't doing it from the Railway.