Sometimes it DON'T Pay to help a fellow boater

Billy Bob

Just scroll down to the 4th last paragraph and read from there... :wallbash:

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121025/CITYANDREGION/121029427/1010

For those who notified me having trouble with the link I copied and pasted the part I'm referring to...this is right from the Buffalo News (paper).

At 12:20 p.m., boaters trying to help a fellow boater ended up submerged at the Wilson Pier.

Sheriff James R. Voutour said two men in a motorboat tried to help a sailboat, which had become grounded at the pier.

“The sailboat was running the engine full bore, since they were stuck, and once they came free [the sailboat] catapulted past the motorboat, spinning it around, and started to pull it backwards, which took it right under water,” Voutour said. No injuries were reported.

Wilson volunteer firefighters helped sheriff’s deputies aid the boaters. The U.S. Coast Guard and Olcott Volunteer Fire Department were called to remove the overturned boat.

Edited by Billy Bob

Though many would find this interesting having recently complete my MED-A3 and SVOP courses, nobody is obligated to tow anyone not even the Coast Guard or Police as you then become liable for any and all damage that occurs to their vessel as well as yours.

Sec 4.3 -

The federal government or its agents will not compete with commercial or private interests to provide assistance.

Here's the link to the entire page if you wish to read -

http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/e0010194

Cheers G.