Got my First Salmon today!

hotsky

Went fishing to the Harbour today, only had a couple hours to kill it was pretty windy and kinda chilly so I didn't feel like staying any longer. I've never had any luck there so didn't even bring a net, thinking I'm going to get skunnked again but still always willing to try. I started with a spinnerbait but no luck was going to try a crankbait but went for a spoon instead. After maybe 5 casts I had a fish on! I knew the fish was a decent size when it started to spool me haha - it really made a run for. I had the 2500 reel spooled with 110yards of 20lb braid in May and been using it all summer and after a bunch of snaggs and what not I only have about 60% of the line I stared with. I didn't want to overtighten the drag so as I was reeling it in it kept taking line. Standing on the rocks I had no way of landing the fish so I walked over to the beach area about 20 meters fighting the fish the same time but I managed to land it. I took a short video on the release and noticed my rod was snapped in half! It must've broke as it got in the shallows. All in all it was a cool experience, my first salmon and probbly largers fish I caught so far! :thumbsup_anim: I've never had a fish take up that much line on me thats for sure.

Edited by Gray_Wolf

ahhhhhhh dont worry about the edit...its the sound of someones excitement that infects the masses to try fishing for them...a friend of mine caught his first two salmon last year off a pier and he isnt the type to do a happy dance...but ....he did it...its all about the excitement!!!

You must have great Christmas celebrations if catching your first Salmon isn't better than a few of them... and worth screaming about a little.

My first was on a pier a few years back and it was another gale force wind kind of day, so I kept saying to myself that if I got one on and stood up out of my chair I should immediately knock the chair over so the wind wouldn't have it parasail into the lake.... Got one on stood up watched the fish jump and out of the corner of my eye saw my chair go over the edge, because I totally forgot about knocking it over once the thrill of the fight started. Another angler caught the chair on his line and let it sink to the bottom while I fought and finally landed the fish after about 20 minutes.

So after unhooking the cleo, from the fish it was time to pull up the chair, by now a third angler had arrived and he said he would go down the ladder and grab the chair if I would give him the fish. I said cut the line I can buy a new chair for 15 bucks but that fish was the first king I had ever landed.... He said he had to ask but screw it and scampered down the ladder anyway just as his chair blew by him and into the water. I cast for it and was able to pull it over so he got it back too.

There was a lot of hollering and screaming on my part that day too as I was fighting that fish...