two footitus

krixxer

I've owned a boat for two seasons. I bought little 16 starcraft with a 50 out of the 80's that I restored and tuned. After the two seasons I'm starting to see some limitations drawbacks and shortcomings. She is a bit tight for 3, close to 30 years old, a bit too low for the kiddies etc etc... I can think of a thousand excuses to blow some cash.

I know that the ticket is to buy used but I hope to get some feedback from guys who bought from a marina/dealer. Better yet anyone ever try to get a deal at the show?

How are the shows? Is there deal to be had? Price discounts or better packages?

Here is the boat that I'm looking at

SpecificationsLenght

Beam

Height of Sides

Bottom Width

Approx Dry Weight

Deadrise

Fuel Capacity

Maximum HP

Transom Height

Aluminum Thickness

Side

Bottom

Transom 18'

86"

34"

66"

1000 lbs

14 Degree

35 US Gal

20"

Length16' - 19'Beam86"Height of Sides34"Bottom Width66"Approx Dry Weight16' 1050 / 17' 1150 / 18' 1250 / 19' 1350Deadrise16 DegreeFuel Capacity16' 17' 24gal / 18' 19' 35galMaximum HP135hp Transom Height20"Side.125Bottom.160Transom.160

DSCF1524.jpg

SHspor3.jpg

That looks like a North River.

Great boat but only two complaints;

- Really noisy when anchored or drifting. Water slapping the hull sides make it sound like you're in a small tin boat.

- Casting deck is too small for my liking.

That boat will last you a lifetime and well worth the premium you pay for it. Make sure it's the right boat for you!

Just like buying a used car your best bet for a decent boat at a decent price can be had by buying private.

Unlike cars most boat owners will be honest about the boat, unless you see right away that the seller is a meathead.

Dealers selling used boats usually know nothing about the history of the boat/motor. Those boats are on their lots usually as a result of a trade in.

The best thing you can do is to do your homework for the particular boat, motor and trailer you want.

The most important thing to consider is what's your budget?

Edited by Sour_Squirrel

No not a North River. A NR boat like this runs 40k

why is this such a difficult decision? It took me 4 hours to by my last car. I spend 4 hours a day comparing smokecraft to starcraft, lund to lows etc.

Looking at all the boat MGF's all the possible models how you pick the one the bests fits you. I don't want to do this again in two seasons.

Anyone know how much mark up the marinas place on their packages? Can I expect to haggle 4-5k or will be closer 1-2k?

why is this such a difficult decision?

You need to figure out what your gonna use the boat for, casting, trolling, drift fishing, water skiing, cruising with the family, big water, little water, sunny days only, or cold and rainy too ??

Once you decide what the main uses will be, it'll narrow your choices down a bunch and make the decision easier.

Anyone know how much mark up the marinas place on their packages? Can I expect to haggle 4-5k or will be closer 1-2k?

I didn't anticipate buying new. I've always been of the mind to let someone else absorb the depreciation. That is, until the last year.

With almost 0% financing and warranty, it made sense to buy my wife's car new versus used.

With a massive rebate and a new boat to tow, the shiny black truck got the better of me. The rebate outweighed the depreciation.

The boat was the deal of the century. I still can't find one in the U.S. used for less than I paid new in Canada. Which leads me to your question about mark-up.

I paid $14,000 below list price, $9,000 below sale prices and $4,000 below what Pt Colborne Marine was selling it for with a used motor (1yr old off lease). The manager told me it was below his cost by $1,600 and another dealer confirmed it by saying "give or take a couple hundred".

I suspect you may not find a deal like this every day of the week but they're out there. I don't think you'll haggle $4-5k on current inventory but that's where I would start with non-current inventory. When the snow comes down, so will the 2012 prices. Be warned, selection will be limited. I benefited from buying a big water boat from an area that doesn't move many in that class. His 16'-17'ers were long gone and the leftover 18'er was still over dealer cost ($100 less than my boat).

You need to figure out what your gonna use the boat for, casting, trolling, drift fishing, water skiing, cruising with the family, big water, little water, sunny days only, or cold and rainy too ??

Once you decide what the main uses will be, it'll narrow your choices down a bunch and make the decision easier.

if I wanted the best boat for each application you mentioned I'd need 5 boats to satisfy my needs

Boat will be used on Simcoe, Erie some lake Ontario runs a few trips to the Kawarthas and the occasional BOQ trip oh don't let me forget the lower niagara in the winter.

I need an "all around rig" mostly casting some drifting and little trolling. I want it to handle reasonable waters as I don't mind fishing when she blows hard or drizzles a bit.

if you're looking for value for your dollar don't be afraid to look in the states...it's not as difficult as you might think to tow across the border and it is well documented, forum search or google search

go to the shows and sit in the boats and once you have it narrowed down go price shopping for those models

keep in mind, you'll never go wrong with a Lund...lol

Bare foot,

You must see quite a few Harbercraft, Hewes Weldcrafts and alike....

Any particular opinion about them? and keep in mind I'm looking at 18 footers nothing bigger

Topwater Striker,

I already have a tinny and mine is already rigged up. I'll save you some money from new! I'll sell it to you cheep :whistling: nice 50 hp! will run 55kph!

Edited by krixxer