Algonquin Park - i am a friend of the park

just got back from Algonquin Park i always get up there a few times a year but always seem to miss prime fall colours! this time it wasn't the case, i would say the colours where at there peak! was a beautiful trip and makes me want to get back up there every fall.

Just a short video i shot in 1080p HD and a few pictures all taken with my GoPro. The classy music thrown in for the heck of it.

only walked one trail because it was getting really late, The Logging Trail, the one i always seem to head to!

Animals seen: Moose, Red Fox, Chipmunk, Wild Turkey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWW8CvsfFE

Watch in 1080p for best results!

2 questions, what is your favourite trail in the park, and anyone ever see or catch any muskie from shore in the park?

Thanks for watching and hope you enjoy!

Very cool video. No moose in the video?

That reminds me, I forgot to take some underwater pics with my camera on my trip :wallbash:

SAD i know. we seen the typical 2 cars pulled over staring HARD into the abyss, i seen a big moose far off in the distance in a lowland, but the GoPro really really isn't good for anything farther than spitting distance! wish i could have got a video or picture of it! next time. Underwater pics sure turn out nice especially if you have some planning done, i just went out not knowing what i was gonna shoot!

We got out on the booth's rock trail last weekend. scenery was spectacular !!

Awesome rob, I'm sure the colours where extremely nice at that time! Don't think I've ever been on that specific trail in the park, but its noted for next time I'm there!

Nice video. Fall would be a good time to catch all those colours.

anyone ever see or catch any muskie from shore in the park?

Really there is only one area in park with muskies. That is Petawawa River From Lake Traverse towards Ottawa River.

The muskies there aren't huge but are plentiful. Caught them while targeting bass and walleye.

Here is report from summer.

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64097

Went up to the park with my son two weeks ago. Colors were brilliant. For the first time we hiked the Centennial Ridges trail. It didn't disappoint as it brought us to half dozen scenic lookouts. That being said I have always loved and continue to love the Mizzy Lake trail. Not as physically demanding as C.R. Trail and it visits some spectacular wetlands and offers excellent wildlife. As for the Muskie I don't fish for them and haven't heard of them in the park, at least the areas I have visited.

Bill

• 1 month later...

Favourite trail has to be Smoke lake, through Ragged lake and into Big Porcupine... Doesnt sound like much but Ragged lake changes as you go though it(scenery and water environment.) The only thing that may stray people away from that trail is one portage called Devil's Staircase. The group I went with all thought that it was just a name. I knew it was something not to be taken lightly. 590m portage doesnt sound too bad. Matter of fact, 590m is easy. Until you get there and see this is natures 45 degree obstacle course. It's hell. But once its behind you, its forgotten about. Big Porcupine is a nice lake with open waters and a small mouth connecting the 2 open areas. Clear water with tons of life. Just looking in from the shore I was able to see tadpoles, crawfish and small fish in one glance. Going for hikes is nice there since the vegetation isn't so dense.

Last year we went to Burnt Island Lake. Not my favourite. Its a very windy lake, dense forest, with barely any water plant life. BUT!!!! I was using a buzzbait and a muskie crashed it. Bent it to where the blade was hitting the pin, left teeth marks on the head and ripped off some of the shirt. I didnt hook it though. Im glad I didnt because the rod I was using at the time might not have been able to withstand the power those things have.