First HDR picture

Dave Bailey

Downloaded and used a free trial version of Photomatix. I'm happy with it. But I resolve to never again buy a camera that does not have a manual focus option, and that cannot take filters. Trying to get this picture with the ridiculously bad autofocus on my Fujichrome Finepix S1500 took me over 20 attempts.

HDR1-25.jpg

Edited by Dave Bailey

If you want to play with HDR, the best option for you camera would be bracketing. Manual focus and filters have nothing to do with HDR quality.

Yup, AEB bracketing would be the ticket. Will take 3 pics.. Depending on your settings (Full or half stop) you'll get one picture that's under exposed, one that's exposed properly, then one that over exposed) Combine all 3 and voila!! HDR!

Yeah, should have given the technical details. 3 exposures, bracketed +-1/3 stop, my camera has that feature. I know manual focus and filters wouldn't have anything to do with HDR, but they can make the original pictures better. I absolutely HATE HATE HATE autofocus. Well, what I should say is that I HATE not having the option of manual focus.

And I'm still pissed that Mama done took my Kodachrome away. <_<

And before anyone even thinks about it, it is pointless to engage me in debate on that subject. I will not yield. :P

Friends who've played with HDR shot single image raw format. Slider sets images to under and over and use those. Basically same as bracketed shots. These examples are good in that they're not the overdone cartoon looking photos most people do when they dabble in HDR.

I've tried with single shots, but I'll stick with bracketed ones. You can't bring out detail that wasn't there in the first place, all the computer can do is fake it the best it can. And when it comes to nature photography I'm a bit of a purist, in fact I almost never use flash.