Pike Boil

manitoubass2

Well, after a thread the other day about pike, I got a mean jonesing for a pike boil. So yesterday the kids and I went down to the river with some nice eaters in mind.

Water was really dirty and cold. We fished the current seems in 6-8FOW, and a shallow rock break in the current that was 1-3FOW. We fished spinnerbaits only.

First two bites I had right away were keepers, 21" and a 25", perfect!!!

Then my boy wanted to cast around, as well as his sisters. I watched, took a few pics and enjoyed the scenery. After about 30 minutes my boy yells "snag". I look over, and start to walk. Then I hear line pealing, lol. "IT's a fish, It's a fish!!!" he yells. It's a good one too. He battled it like a true warrior, for a good 7-8 minutes before he landed the fish on shore. She was a beaut, a new personal best for him. This fish had some good shoulders too, boy was it thick!

septbass2012050.jpg

Anyhow, I filleted up the fish yesterday using the 5 fillet method. We already had a pork butt in the crock pot, so I saved the pike boil for today. Boy did it turn out nice! I admit I overcooked the potatoes slightly, but it was still delightful. It's not an awe inspiring plate (or tupperware container in this case, lol) but the flavors are delightful.

Anyone interested in trying it, I highly recommend it.

I made two batches, one small one for me and the kids, and another larger batch for the local Native elders. Boy were they happy when I showed up with that food, and all either really really enjoyed it, or they did a great job making it look that way, hahaha.

Here is the recipe

One large onion, chopped into decent sized chunks, per three servings

2 celery stalks per three people, cleaned, halved then cut into small chunks

2 large carrots per person, peeled and chunked

2 large potatoes per person, quartered

2 northern pike fillets per person, sliced length wise, then cubed. Size depends on taste, I like about 3" long, 1" wide

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes. Cook for 25 minutes. Add celery, onion, and carrots. When potatoes are 4 minutes from being cooked through, add the pike meat, and two tablespoons of salt. Drain thoroughly after 4 minutes. Return to the pot, add 1/4lb of butter, per three serving. Put lid on pot and allow butter to melt. Add salt and pepper to taste (or whateve seasoning suites your taste) and serve.

I highly recommend serving with fresh fry bread(which we didnt do this time)

septbass2012002-1.jpg

septbass2012003-1.jpg

septbass2012005-1.jpg

septbass2012007.jpg

septbass2012008.jpg

septbass2012010.jpg

A nice cold beer helps too. Oh yeah, we caught a big frog too! lol

septbass2012047.jpg

Edited by manitoubass2

Man that looks yummy Rick !!! Your kids all look like they are having a blast.They are lucky to be growing up in a paradise like that.

Thanks dood! It's my pops recipe though, all kudos go to him. My kids and I are always having a blast! Best thing about having kids? Your always doing things with your best friends, never a dull moment. And thanks, I appreciate where we live, every single day

YES PLEASE!!!

After two batches, were all out, sorry, lol. Maybe next time?

That looks really good, I've never boiled a fish before in my life. I may just have to try that. Thanks for the recipe.

Really nice fish your son caught there :thumbsup_anim:

I never had boiled a fish either, before I tried this recipe. It actually seems weird how fast it cooks, 4 mins tops on a rolling boil. The meat really tastes great though, you gotta try it.

And thanks, he was pretty amped. Didnt take him too long though to up that! He just landed a 35" in the danger zone. All the big pike are moving in one of our holes, where they ambush the big bass. It's actually a pretty cool thing to see, and a great time for us to search for the big ones (pike that is).