Looking for employment in the environmental sector

GreenCanada

I've written this 3-4 times now and I am never satisfied with how it sounds, so here goes nothing.

I am currently looking for a job in the environmental sector. I would prefer to work in a fisheries or conservation (authority) related capacity, focusing on stream rehabilitation or monitoring, but given the current lack of employment opportunities I would be willing to consider other options.

I don't want to provide too much information on my research as I will be preparing a manuscript soon and I can't risk the results and their implications getting out on a public forum beforehand. It did involve substantial lab work with microbiological methods and co-ordinating with various external stakeholders, such as Environment Canada.

A snapshot of my educational background

3-year Finance Diploma from Sheridan College

4-year Honours B.Sc. (Env) Degree in Environmental Biology, with a minor in Environmental Economics and Policy

2-year Master of Science Degree in Environmental Sciences, focus on Environmental Microbiology

I am going to be defending my research based, Master of Science degree, entitled, "THE EFFECT OF PHYSICOCHEMICAL PROPERTIES OF WASTEWATER FLOCS ON UV DISINFECTION FOLLOWING HYDRODYNAMIC PARTICLE BREAKAGE" sometime in September of 2012 at the University of Guelph.

The purpose of me posting here is to see if there are people on our forum that might be in a position to assist me in this search for gainful employment in a field I am passionate about.

If you are interested in speaking with me or would like to request a copy of my resume, please send me a PM and I will make sure to get into contact with you.

I appreciate your time reading this post and if you have any questions, please contact me.

Cheers,

Rob

Once you have determined there are no "dream" jobs out there, and you need to pay some bills, look into Environmental Pollution Insurance.

LOTS of HIGH paying jobs for those with your qualifications.

You'd work for a brokerage or insurance company providing your expertise in the environmental sector for brown field sites and other forms of environmental insurance requirements.

Likely work in the financial district in TO for an "alphabet" company (AON, Marsh, HKMB, etc)

Also Beak was a good shop, and in Brampton.

good.gif Agreed 'cram'--Beak held a lot of talent--most of which appears to reside @ EcoMetrix Incorporated--Mississauga ON

Good luck with your search Rob !

Cheers

Paul

For conservation related work, try applying to various regional Conservation Authorities, for example the North Bay Mattawa Conservation Authority... although their work isn't very cutting edge, it's still in the industry.

Insurance related environmental work has great potential for good money, it's a bit difficult to actually find the jobs though, they are not posted very often and are typically lucrative or fleeting. This type of work would be more client based and less research based. With your finance/environmental law background, you might fit right in. (although insurance work usually requires a certain personality type)

Going out west or far north would probably give you the best head start in a career and it would pay good money. This is what I did and it worked out very well for my career. Apply to jobs in Alberta, Sask, BC or Nunavut and I can bet you'll be suprised how many responses you get. As an example, try the www.wbea.org website... might give you ideas into interesting genres of environmental work you'd typically find in industrialized areas in Northern Canada.

Have you considered bio/soil treating-remediation companies? There are many cutting-edge companies in your area of Ontario working on very interesting projects. This could easily lead into projects all over canada or the world....this is still a lucrative and growing market. Check out the Toronto waterfront project. As someone in the soil-remediation business, soil recycling will be the next big thing in Ontario if it ever gets started (like they have in Halifax). They always need smart guys like you with good credentials. A half hour on google will lead you to many company websites; ones you would have never heard of otherwise.

http://news.waterfrontoronto.ca/2010/06/waterfront-toronto-unveils-plans-for-a-pilot-soil-recycling-facility-that-will-set-new-environmental-sustainability-standards/

Laboratory analysis/interpretation might be another avenue; be it for companies like Maxxam or consulting-type firms. Even oil or mining companies who have in-store labs...Refineries for examples...

Good luck! (move west, move west!! hahaha)