Kitchener .. Bass .. Finally

largemouthtrout

Well , things are lookin' up in Kitchener . Finaly caught a couple halfassed smallmouths in the Grand .

one about 12 inches , another about 10 inches and lots of small ones around 6 inches .

The first hour was non-stop action on rockbass and tiny smallmouths . I couldn,t even tell you how many it was .

I used only one lure . A #1 mepps aglia , silver with red stripes and bright orange tail that i tied myself .

I tried various techniques .. low and slow worked best this time .. as slow as i could go and keep the blade spinning .

But it did make for cleaning a lot more weeds off the hook .

I tried this spot about a week ago and caught 10-12 fish , all pretty small , but it seemed like a promising location .

It seems the bigger fish are finally starting to show themselves .

Hopefully next time I will catch bigger ones .

This is also the first time this year that i didn,t catch a chub . Although when nothing else is bitting chub will do .

All in all , it was a very good day .

Good report. You may find that bumping up the size of your spinner will also bump up the sizes of fish you catch. I generally use a mepps #2 or #3 spinner when fishing the grand, it keeps the baby SMB and chubs off, and the bigger bass seem to eat bigger spinners more. This isent always the case, but it seems to work for me, especially in river fishing.

Good luck!

Matt.

Just adding a note on Northernpikes suggestion to go to a larger spinner .

I have been using mostly my own lures ( till i ran out ) not sure what the hook size is ( threw out the packages ) but its a good size hook ... also have been using the bigger spinners .

Dem little fishes gotz big appetites .

I have most of the barbs on my smaller size tackle crimped off so as to not hurt the fish so bad . I had too many small fish take the whole trebble in their mouth and get all 3 hooks in with #2-#3 spinners. Almost impossible to get out .. I,ve crimped the hooks just to get them out of the fish . I can get a #1 deep hook out easier that a #2-3 hook thats too big for the fishes mouth .

I,m going to use the small tackle untill the fish size comes up , or untill I make some more lures ( single hook )

The bit of rain we got today is sure to be a good thing and the shorter days are probably helping cooling off the river .

I think the fishing should be good for the rest of the season .

I generally cover water with the good old beetle spin (safety-pin lure) for shallower areas, deeper holes get a some drifts with a1/8 oz jig. I usually use darker, natural colors.Once you get the hang of working the jig deeper without getting hung up you`ll start to get better sized fish-good luck!