Mini Dipsy Diver

Matt Janes

Hey All,

Just wondering if any of you have experience using the mini dipsy diver? I bought a couple but they don't come with any trolling instructions like their larger counter parts. There is a bunch of info on the other sizes of divers on the net but I can't find much, if any, on the mini. I am looking for info as to how much line I have to have out to reach a given depth. From what I can find it seems like the mini's only go up to 20 feet.

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks a lot. I couldn't find that link you found. Looks like they can go as deep as 25 feet and I thought it was only 20. We will see this weekend as I finally picked up some proper trolling gear with line counter reels. Another question though...If a lure says it dives 10 feet, how much line do you have to let out to achieve that depth? Is there a standard as far as lures go?

Thanks Again,

Matt

Thanks a lot. I couldn't find that link you found. Looks like they can go as deep as 25 feet and I thought it was only 20. We will see this weekend as I finally picked up some proper trolling gear with line counter reels. Another question though...If a lure says it dives 10 feet, how much line do you have to let out to achieve that depth? Is there a standard as far as lures go?

Thanks Again,

Matt

If you're going to be trolling cranks and want an accurate understanding of depths, you should look into the Precision Trolling Guide. Google is your friend.

HH

a 3/0 dipsy and a size "0" dipsy are two different sizes.

Yup, that's why I edited my post =). The link at the bottom contains some information on the 3/0.

The Precision Trolling Guide is a nice book.

For me, I normally just let out plenty of line - like 125ft+. I use 6-8lb mono equivalent diameter line. For me, that gets most lures down to where they need to be within 10%. I prefer three-way setups if I want to get down deep. Cheap and easy.

Edited by FishLogic

A little late for you but I'd recommend Torpedo divers over the minis. Especially compared to non directional mini dipsy's; the Torpedos excel by requiring less line out/foot down, less drag (more bite sensitive) and you can run leads as long as you want. Simply detach the Torpedo from your line as you reel in. They are more expensive than dipsy's but I much prefer them to the mini's for the reasons mentioned.

Dipsy's WORK GREAT as they get off to the side of the boat where other diver planers don't......but with that say it's still a crap shoot on the depth and how far they go off to each side of the boat.......TOO MANY VARIABLE when it comes to line diamameter, etc.....