braid again

FISHINGNUT

There has been alot of talk about braid over mono ,But what about colour selection power pro offers moss green ,high vis yellow ,white,and red.How do you determine what colour to use ? What colour line do you use for crank baits and jigs for walley and small mouth are my main question. Jamie

I.use.the.green.Power.Pro...it.fades.to.a.whitish.colour

after.a.while.and.that.is.fine.too.

I.run.18.inch.floro.leaders.

No.problems.catching.Pike.Musky.Walleye.etc.

I.figure.most.fish.strike.upwards.so.a.light

colour.line.is.probably.less.conspicuous

against.a.lighter.sky.

I.use.the.green.Power.Pro...it.fades.to.a.whitish.colour

after.a.while.and.that.is.fine.too.

I.run.18.inch.floro.leaders.

No.problems.catching.Pike.Musky.Walleye.etc.

I.figure.most.fish.strike.upwards.so.a.light

colour.line.is.probably.less.conspicuous

against.a.lighter.sky.

Musky, you don't bother using/making your own leaders for pike/musky from wire? I never tried this floro stuff...it is just as good a wire leader then?

I've alwys used mono up until last year and I decided to try a braid so I went with the power pro in the moss green (always looking for that "edge")! The line quality was excellent, but I believe that my catch ratio was down from using mono (mind you, I didn,t use a flurocarbon leader, I never use any kind of leader for walleye). I have learned over the years that even line size can make a huge difference when fishing walleye, if you want to prove it for your self, just put two guys in a boat, one with 4-6 lb test and the other with 10-12 lb test line and see who gets the most hits.

This year I decided to try one of the flurocarbons (still looking for that edge) and settled on Berkley transition. Apparently invisable under water but changes to gold in the sun light so you can see it but the fish can't. I went with the six lb test because there are a lot of weeds in this lake and a 4lb just isn't strong enough when they try to run for cover, besides CTC didn't have a 4lb on the shelf or I might have tried it anyway.

I don't think I'd go back to a braid again, not for the type of fishing I do anyway.

Big Cliff

Hey.Black.Blade...I.will..never.go.back.to.wire!

Floro.has.proven.far.superior.to.wire.in.every.aspect.

I.used.only.1.leader(130.lb).on.each.of.my.Musky.stix.

last.season...no.problems...only.very.minor.

nicks.in.the.floro...several.50.inch.Musky.

pushing.30.lbs.have.convinced.me!

Also.catch.plenty.of.Walleye.on.80.lb.floro

probably.overkill.but.lots.of.Pike.around.too.

Sure.smaller.diameter.versus.strength

I.run.80.or.100.lb.power.pro,but.if.I.

have.75.feet.of.line.out.on.a.troll...

I.dont.think.1.1/2feet.of.floro.is.going.

to.reduce.the.sensitivity.much!

Also,the.floro.has.some.stretch(the.knot.as.well)

so.could.act.as.a.shock.tippet.on.a.

hard.strike...I.could.feel.a.50.inch.ski.

last.season.nibbling.on.the.trailer.of

my.spinnerbait.with.60.feet.of.line

out,and.I.knew.when.to.set.the.hook!

Wife lost a really nice smallmouth last summer, she had 10 lb mono on, while mine was 20 lb Powerpro....I set up her hook, she threw it out and it was nailed straight off...smallie dove under the boat and I can only assume that line must have nicked on the boat maybe...I went to gather in her line (had no net till the next day...lol) and haul the fish in and he just gave a good shake of his head and popped the line....Powerpro went on that reel as soon as we hit shore that day...lol.

What type of knot is good to attach the floro for a leader? Double Uni?

Doesnt using a floro leader defeat the purpose of using braid,I thought braids biggest advantage was its sensativtey and smaller dia,

The sensitivity will still be there and you will notice the difference. The line is highly visible in the water (all the braid colors) sure the floro leader will be a bit thicker than the braid but it's almost invisible in the water, it's the best of both worlds.

Color, I usually go wilth green just because it's matches the water the best. The good thing about braid is that you can detect hits and line movement by watching the line move around, I've set the hook on fish where I didn't even feel a bite but I could see the line moving. I've tried every line out there and I'm convinced that Braid with a floro leader is superior in 90% of situations.

Edited by GbayGiant