Line for Temagami

colin519

Hey all,

Looking for some advice on line to pick up for a Temagami trip. I usually go with a fly rod, ultralight and a medium action rod. I have 4lb Berkeley sensation (or maybe XL can't recall). I'm comfortable with that choice, however on my medium action rod I wanted something a bit stronger than the 6 or 8lb Vanish I usually like to use in case I wanna throw a spoon through some weeds or pitch a senko into some wood. I bought some 6lb Spiderwire Invisibraid and the reviews I've read are horrible. Anyone like this line? It was a whine to spool and the knots are obviously more difficult but I like the idea of it's 1lb equivalent diameter.

What the deal with Fireline and PowerPro? Are they better? I prefer to use small diameter lines as 10-12lb test quickly become overkill for my Abu reel. Any advice, thoughts on Spiderwire, clear water, braid vs flouro, vanish vs other lines. Anything to give me some context for my decisions would be awesome. Thank you!

i really didnt like the spiderwires i used in the past, greatly prefer powerpro. i use braided lines and baitcasters for throwing around and they work fine. temagamin doesnt have alot of slop or such to haul fish out of.

i use 8lb mono for walleye and bass fishing - ive never asked one but temagami walleye are allergic to braided lines.

same tactics same boat same day mono catches all the walleye on that lake.

I tried all kinds of lines last year and a couple this year, including Spiderwire, Fireline, PowerPro, and a bunch more. The one I keep coming back to is Tuf-Line Duracast.. I don't know anyone else who likes it, but it's pretty much all I will buy. I do have a spool of 4lb P-Line fluoro that I like too, for brook trout, but I wouldn't use that for pulling spoons through weeds.

i really didnt like the spiderwires i used in the past, greatly prefer powerpro. i use braided lines and baitcasters for throwing around and they work fine. temagamin doesnt have alot of slop or such to haul fish out of.

i use 8lb mono for walleye and bass fishing - ive never asked one but temagami walleye are allergic to braided lines.

same tactics same boat same day mono catches all the walleye on that lake.

I have never really caught anything on braided line, I tried some green braid (can't remember what it was) and it may as well have been paracord because nothing came near that rod. I've got some 6lb Rapala finesse mono that is perpetually cheap. Perhaps I will re-spool with that after some initial attempts.

The bigger danger to your line in Temagami are pike not so much wood or weeds. If you find a good weed bed which are scarcer then hens teeth work it with senkos and around the open water with pop r's, x raps.

I've been running 8lb power pro or nanofil with no complaints with either. I do always run a 4 ft flouro leader of 6-10lb.

Great technique up there is to drift the shorelines that have a lot of lay down wood in the water and fan cast with spinners, xraps and top water. Some days you'll need to slow down and throw senkos.

last couple years blacks been the ticket for senkos and drop shots.

Good luck and I am jealous as no trip up there for me this year!