A quick Bassin' Report

manitoubass2

Well, summer has been awesome this year!!! We've had a blast, but it's been really busy with me and the girlfriend starting new jobs. I haven't had the just to be online much, so I'm saving much of my pics for an epic end of the year report, lol. But I thought I'd touch base with the members here with a short report.

We woke up early today with plans to shore fish in the rapids. So after a quick breakky and checking the weather/water levels, we were off. Water is dropping and is really murky, maybe 6" visibility. Water temps dropped a good 8 degrees last night, and started around 71 at the begging of the morning, finishing around 74 early this afternoon.

THe first thing the kids usually do at this spot is explore. They found a big garter snake, a whole wack of frogs, a turtle, and some really weird looking parasitic type worm (it looked really gross, no pic though)

I started off by tossing a Berkley Jigger craw to some submerged rock cover, and that quickly landed us a few quick bites! Really, really small bass though. So I switched up and tried a few other baits, taking one or two bites on each bait. Again, no size to speak of, but withing the first hour were on the board with about 15 fish, so nobody is complaining thumbsup_anim.gif.

LateJulyearlyAug2012051.jpg

LateJulyearlyAug2012047.jpg

LateJulyearlyAug2012042.jpg

LateJulyearlyAug2012038.jpg

Next up, the kids all take some casts. They opted for a 1/4 oz black jig with a black/silver fleck salted grub. I thought to myself, "great choice, I love black in the muddy waters!"

Right away, they get bit!!! Small but a good fighting bronzeback!!! Again, then again, then again! They all took turns cause this spot is pretty dangerous and I have to keep all the kids in line at all times. The kids landed about 3-4 fish each, but still all around 8-14" mark.

LateJulyearlyAug2012043.jpg

LateJulyearlyAug2012049.jpg

LateJulyearlyAug2012053.jpg

LateJulyearlyAug2012052.jpg

My turn again, and I just decided to fish that black/silver grub for the next hour. It produces on almost every cast. Finally, I remember this submerged table rock right in the rapids, that has this overhang to it. I cast the bait and let it drift to the rock, and BOOM! Oh yeah baby, that's the type of bite I'm looking for!!! Three or four jumps later of what appears to be in the neighborhood of a 4-5lb smallie, it spits the hook. DARNIT!wallbash.gif

We monkeyed around with some other baits for the next few hours, and everything from cranks, sticks, plastics worked to produce bites. But everything was small...

We sat around after and had a quick snack, then decided to call it a day. We'll head back out tonight and see how that works out.

LateJulyearlyAug2012056.jpg

LateJulyearlyAug2012057.jpg

Oh yeah, we got one rare summer walleye too! It fell prey to a X-Rap popper right in the rapids! First time I've ever seen that!!! It was a hugemongous walleye too, at about 12", hahahahahaha.

LateJulyearlyAug2012050.jpg

All in all we musta landed about 50-60 small bass. Had a few 20-25" pike, and missed about 7-8 bites. We had alot of fun and the action was constant!!!

Anyhow, hope you enjoy thumbsup_anim.gif. And I hope everyone is having a great summer with family, friends and fishing!!!

LateJulyearlyAug2012026.jpg

Yup, having a great summer too!

Looks like nothing but fun times out in the wilderness for youthumbsup_anim.gif

Thats great to hear RC!!!!

Always a blast where we live!!!

A few bonus pics...

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

BREAKFAST DONE PROPER, lol (no wonder I'm getting fat lately, haha)

IMG_0294.jpg

No he's not snagged on the rock behind him, lol. It took about 20 tried to get this shot of my oldest boy mid cast!

IMG_0307.jpg

An oldie redone

IMG_0247.jpg

Awesome report and pics Manitou :thumbsup_anim: Good on you for taking the kids out and making it a fun time B):clapping:

That breaky pic is awesome B) Proper you say :blink: I say, more like a complete meal :worthy::thumbsup_anim: Man I'm hungry all of sudden :w00t:

IMG_0294.jpg

Thanks for sharing and again great job! :good:

TJunkie

great report, but one question, what time's breaky tomorrow ?? :lol:

Breakky is always at 7am, on weekends. 5am on weekdays thumbsup_anim.gif

Awesome report and pics Manitou :thumbsup_anim: Good on you for taking the kids out and making it a fun time B):clapping:

That breaky pic is awesome B) Proper you say :blink: I say, more like a complete meal :worthy::thumbsup_anim: Man I'm hungry all of sudden :w00t:

IMG_0294.jpg

Thanks for sharing and again great job! :good:

TJunkie

Thanks TJ!

I'm really just gonna bump this to keep the pics of the food taunting members, lol