Mono or fluoro leader when using braid - pier salmon casting

Burtess

Hi All,

I am going to try out braid this fall for pier chucking (20lb PowerPro), do I need to use a mono leader with this stuff or can I tie a 3/4oz Cleo on direct? Is it that visible to the fish?

Thanks,

Burt :)

Hi All,

I am going to try out braid this fall for pier chucking (20lb PowerPro), do I need to use a mono leader with this stuff or can I tie a 3/4oz Cleo on direct? Is it that visible to the fish?

Thanks,

I tie on a swivel clasp then the lure. Works very well!!!!

I've tried both mono and fluro leader before, there's really no point if you are using it for line visibility issues. Some people claim a 3 foot section of leader helps to absorb shock, I think its just another extra knot to tie and potentially fail on you. Especially when you fish at night time with glow spoons, tie braid direct with a quality ball barrel cross-lock swivel. I retie my knot after each fish.

My setup:

9'6-10' M-MH rod with fast tip

3000 Shimano Saros

200ish yards of 15lb PowerPro

smaller diameter line will help you cast your spoon further and a 3000 size reel is not too heavy to cast repeatedly all night.

I've yet to have a Salmon spool me ;) *knock on wood

ps. please bring your own net, try not to borrow other's

Edited by young_one

OK cool... no leader needed!

I am using a 10' Shimano Convergence with a 3500 size Daiwa.... yes I have my own net with custom extension handle (usually I end up netting everyones fish)...

Is a 125M spool of 20lb PowerPro enough to fill that reel or I think I need to leave some mono on their as filler?

I have to disagree. I fish with braid now on all my rods and ALWAYS tie on a 4/5 foot section of flouro with a uni to uni knot. It is a very easy knot to tie and reliable. For your application I would use about 12lb flouro. Just my opinion based on my experiences. YRMV Good luck.

I'd splurge on the 300 yd spool, if you're concerned about tying a leader and having extra knots to fail, then why have a knot between you and the salmon when it's got a 100 yds of line out on you? I've never had a fish come close to spooling a 4000 series spool on me, and the spoolings I have witnessed were IMO wrong gear and not enough capacity or cause they let them happen, laughing and hollering with a loose drag lol...tighten the drag and put side control, make that pig work for it

I use about a 4-6' leader of 20/25 lb big game just for extra abrasion strength when you're close to landing him, bumps some zebra mussels, touches the pier, garbage debris that i always tend to find, etc...I don't trust 15 lb braid around sharp stuff

I tie a 12 turn improved albright that has never failed for me and passes easily through the guides....ball bearing snap swivel to change spoons easy

OK cool... no leader needed!

I am using a 10' Shimano Convergence with a 3500 size Daiwa.... yes I have my own net with custom extension handle (usually I end up netting everyones fish)...

Is a 125M spool of 20lb PowerPro enough to fill that reel or I think I need to leave some mono on their as filler?

Burt smile.gif

buy the 300 yd spool