Ancient Remedy for allergy suffers to try....

dsn

Ok I was watching the Opera Show yesterday. They had a Doctor Oz on the show. They where talking about health issues and simple remedies. I find health shows very useful so I watch the entire show.

They were talking about allergies and what's the best thing to use. Last year I got hit hard with allergies. I was on reactine from the begining of the season but still it got to the point where reactine didn't work and I have to go the doc for a presciption remedy. Told him I was out among the bushes fishing for carp. LOL He was laughing.

Always to make a long story short , they mentioned something called a "neti Pot." I didn't know what it was til a lady from the audience went up to demenstrate how to use the neti pot. Apparently your supposed to use warm water and salt in the neti pot and run the water through one nostril and the salt water comes out the other nostril. The water flushes out pollen and dust particles and also loosens clogged mucus. She flushed the other side of her nostrils and she said she could breathe alot better.

Apparently this method was used many years ago and has no side effects. Where if I took a reactine or any anti-histamine I would have to stay out of the heat or I'll get heat stroke. Cause the anti-histamine prevents your body from sweating to cool itself off in the heat. Last year I got dizzy spills too, thats how I found out I wasn't supposed to be in the heat after taking the antihistamine.

Has any tried or used the "neti pot" and does it reall help?

dsn

More info on Neti Pots click here

I had a nose operation a few weeks ago in order to open up my one nasal passage more, but before this took place, the doctor had me try an off the shelf nasal rinse to see if it would help my breathing by flushing out the nostrils. God it was terrible doing this. The solution would flow down the back of my throat and into my mouth making me gag. The chemicals used in the solution are perfectly safe, so I would recommend trying this rather then a home remedy if you want to try a nasal rinse.

I had a nose operation a few weeks ago in order to open up my one nasal passage more, but before this took place, the doctor had me try an off the shelf nasal rinse to see if it would help my breathing by flushing out the nostrils. God it was terrible doing this. The solution would flow down the back of my throat and into my mouth making me gag. The chemicals used in the solution are perfectly safe, so I would recommend trying this rather then a home remedy if you want to try a nasal rinse.

The girl who tried it leaned forward. And her head slightly down so the salt water didn't go down her throat. I tried to see where the saltwater was coming out.. it seemed like it was coming out of her other nostril.

But last year my lungs where really messed up so I'm not sure if this would help at all either.

Yeah gagging is not good. :(

dsn

I have had a lifetime of nasal problems. Allergies, continuous sinus infections, congestion, you name it I've had it. About 10 years ago I went through sinus surgery and also the centre part of my nose reduced too. This did help, but part of the therapy is to use steroid nasal spray and I hate it because it causes nosebleeds. Stay away from nasal spray decongestants (Dristan) if possible or only use them on occasion because the rebound congestion is even worse.

Go to the pharmacy and pick up a small spay bottle of any brand of "Saline Nasal Spray" it does help to relieve problems of congestion by moistening the nasal tissue. This saline mist/spray sounds like a commercial version of the salt water thing you are describing and you won't experience the gagging sensation so much. That is if you use it correctly. The spray only costs a couple of bucks.

I to am still using the saline nasal spray since the operation in order to help heal the scar tissue more quickly by keeping everything moist. It does work and does not cause the gaging problem but it is not a rinse. It might help though.

Guest lundboy

If you have a congested nose, how would you inhale or spray this stuff in your nose? I've never been able to.

I have had pretty bad allergies for over 30 years, especially during ragweed season. I used to depend on Reactine as well, and it did help quite a bit.

About 2 years ago I stopped taking any antihistamine at all I didn't need it anymore. Stuff just didn't bother me anymore.

About two years ago I started taking a glucosamine 1500mg, chondroitin 1500mg, MSM 600mg combo supplement (3 tablets total daily) for an arthritic problem. Turns out one of the side benefits of MSM is it relieves allergy symptoms.

This supplement takes a long time to get into your system so you have to take it regularly and for at least 3 months to see a difference, but it sure makes a difference! You can buy MSM by itself at any health supplements store.

There is no medical or documented scientific evidence that it works, but I know for a fact that it worked for me (the other stuff didn't help my arthritic shoulder though my casting arm too!). Strangely enough since I started taking this, I rarely had any occurrence of heartburn. Occurrences went from once or twice a week to maybe twice in one year!

Here's some info...

http://www.nutriteam.com/msm-allergies.htm

http://www.health-n-energy.com/ARTICLES/9artmsminfo.htm

http://www.bulkmsm.com/research/JamesCoburn/james9.htm

If you have a congested nose, how would you inhale or spray this stuff in your nose? I've never been able to.

I have had pretty bad allergies for over 30 years, especially during ragweed season. I used to depend on Reactine as well, and it did help quite a bit.

About 2 years ago I stopped taking any antihistamine at all I didn't need it anymore. Stuff just didn't bother me anymore.

About two years ago I started taking a glucosamine 1500mg, chondroitin 1500mg, MSM 600mg combo supplement (3 tablets total daily) for an arthritic problem. Turns out one of the side benefits of MSM is it relieves allergy symptoms.

This supplement takes a long time to get into your system so you have to take it regularly and for at least 3 months to see a difference, but it sure makes a difference! You can buy MSM by itself at any health supplements store.

There is no medical or documented scientific evidence that it works, but I know for a fact that it worked for me (the other stuff didn't help my arthritic shoulder though my casting arm too!). Strangely enough since I started taking this, I rarely had any occurrence of heartburn. Occurrences went from once or twice a week to maybe twice in one year!

Here's some info...

http://www.nutriteam.com/msm-allergies.htm

http://www.health-n-energy.com/ARTICLES/9artmsminfo.htm

http://www.bulkmsm.com/research/JamesCoburn/james9.htm

Ahhh this sounds promising. Since I'm also familar with using natural remedies. Thanks!! I think I'll give it try. I'll eat a box of matches. (sulfur only not the wooden part) :lol: I hope when it's time to pass gas it doesn't smell like sulfur. :w00t:

No, but seriuously I'll give this a shot. I know natural remedies do work and that it takes time to get it into your system. And since its natural and if there's something wrong when I take it... all I have to do is drink tons of water to flush my system. Unlike prescription stuff. ( end up dead) :w00t:

I guess I can get this stuff at any health food store.

Thanks Lundboy. And to all that gave their responses too. Much appreciated and my lungs and nose thanks you all too. I want to be total prepared this year before it hits.

dsn