Prefishing surprise

Got out early today as well as yesterday.... Trying to get ready for a walleye tourney next weekend...

And this morning I caught a pike... It was about 6-7 pounds... This may not sound interesting but in my area I dont see very many pike.... This is my first pike this year on my home water...

Believe it or not I only get 1 or 2 a year fishing walleye and musky....

There is good pike fishing in the spring... But after that they kinda disappear.....

59c876e7.jpg

1b486cc4.jpg

That's a decent one Mike. In almost 60 years of fishing both the Larry and the Ottawa I think the biggest I've gotten was about 10 pounds. I never did understand why......nor have I tried to find out really. It might be because pike are not the top of the chain here. Muskie gets big but muskie is a warm water fish where pike is a colder water fish. Maybe that's the answer. I went out today mainly to sit in the sun and it showed...I came home around 3:30 with two white stripes on my back. Spent most of my time pulling fat baits through skinny water. :) Not a smart move today.

That's a decent one Mike. In almost 60 years of fishing both the Larry and the Ottawa I think the biggest I've gotten was about 10 pounds. I never did understand why......nor have I tried to find out really. It might be because pike are not the top of the chain here. Muskie gets big but muskie is a warm water fish where pike is a colder water fish. Maybe that's the answer. I went out today mainly to sit in the sun and it showed...I came home around 3:30 with two white stripes on my back. Spent most of my time pulling fat baits through skinny water. :) Not a smart move today.

But above the dam here there's plenty... And big too....

The spring tourney usually gets pike over 15 pounds....