Looking to buy my first Baitcast Combo..

mikeymikey

Hello again?

I am looking for purchase a my ever Baitcast reel & rod combo and I have no idea what to look for what to get.

On top of that I am cheap and I am not as hardcore as some of you.

My budget is limited to $150 (after tax if possible).

Another thing I do prefer is left-hand retrieve reel.

Any recommendation as to which brand/combo to get and where to buy from. (local shop would be prefered)

Thank you!

I was in the same boat a while back when i got hooked on Musky fishing. I purchased a new abu garcia 5600 series baitcater on ebay for $65 bucks shipping included and bought a bass pro shop 7 ft. heavy action baitcaster rod at the store.. Awesome reel and I have been happy with the rod also. Best money I have ever spent on gear i must say!!

For your price range check out Fishing World. They have a nice baitcasting reel on sale for $70 not sure if it comes in left hand though. They also have some Pfluegar reels with a Shimano Convergence rod which would be right in your price range!!!!!!! They have a huge sale going on that ends Sunday so I am sure they could hook you up.

Guest lundboy

Being that you are new to baitcasting, whatever reel you get make sure it has a good adjustable centrifical brake or magnetic brake system. It will help you learn to cast without too many bird's nests.

The BPS $79 rod in a Medium Heavy action is not bad, but I find them a little top heavy... Take a look at the Berkley Lightning Rods as well for $49, they are a good solid rod and a little lighter, then pick the best reel you can find for the balance of your money.

Then practice practice practice!

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/prod.php?k=.../PURLRC661M.jpg

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...t=SearchResults

Edited by lundboy

just my 0.02c but with baitcasters you are much better off spending a few more dollars and get quality. dont skimp, you'll have less frustrating moments on the water. if you dont have enough right now, save some more pennies.

just my 0.02c but with baitcasters you are much better off spending a few more dollars and get quality. dont skimp, you'll have less frustrating moments on the water. if you dont have enough right now, save some more pennies.

I agree.

I would use ALL your cash on the baitcaster and wait for the rod to come on sale.