Cedar Waxwing Chicks - Abandon Nest - NF

Leecher

Another eventful session this morning while I was about to have my hot brew in my favorite corner :) As I'm about to go outside, I notice the female & male waxwing were flying all over and landing on different areas of my deck.... found this odd :blink: So I grab the camera and stepped out... one of them landed between my wooden bench and table so I took this shot B)

DSC08432.jpg

She flew away but didn't go far... landed low on my pine tree

DSC08433.jpg

After this shot she flown up into the maple tree

DSC08437.jpg

So now it's got me intrigue, I'm thinking.... what are they doing?? are they trying to get my attention away from something?? So I walk up to the stairs to get down on the grass to have a closer look when from the corner of my eye, catch this standing still

DSC08435.jpg

Here's a closer shot

DSC08436.jpg

Now that I know what the parents were trying to do, decided to leave the chick alone and went inside... 15 minutes later, I go back out to check on the chick and to my surprise... there's 2 now :w00t:

DSC08438.jpg

So now I'm really scratching my head as to what to do with these 2... I go inside and go online, Google to see what can be done to save them and to my surprise, I found something :thumbsup_anim:

Here's the link Caring for Baby Birds...

Here's an excerpt of what it recommended I do

*****Quote: Uninjured Baby Birds

If you find an uninjured young bird you will need to determine whether or not it is really an orphaned bird. The best way is to determine if it is a nestling or a fledgling. Most young birds that are found are really just young fledglings that can't fly well....

In order to determine whether the bird is a nestling or a fledgling allow the baby bird to perch on your finger. If it is able to grip your finger firmly than it is a fledgling.

The best thing to do in this case is to place it in a nearby tree or shrub and leave it alone. The parents will continue to care and feed it on their own....

*****Unquote

So I did and determine that these 2 were fledgling, so I immediately place them back into the tree where the nest was and left them alone :) But before I did, snapped this shot of one on my finger B)

Cute little guy :D

DSC08439.jpg

Now my good deed is done for the day and feel they have a better chance at getting fed & care from the parents :thumbsup_anim:

Tight lines

TJunkie

That's really cool.

I put some pictures of a grackle nest in the photography section. The grackles continued to lay eggs and then abandoned the nest. The eggs never hatched :(

There was really nothing I could do for them, unless I bought an incubator, but really, did I want more grackles in my life or in my home. The answer was no. Even tho it sucked they abandoned the nest, I guess that is life!

Good on ya Jacques!

Had the same experience earlier this year with a sparrow fledgling. The little guy had gotten into my boat shelter and seemed all disoriented. Put my finger down and he hopped onto it and I moved him back close to the nest. Left him alone for a while and soon he was chirping with the parents.

Was getting dark and I guess it was to exhausted to move at all and I'm pretty sure spent the night where I left it. In the morning no fledgling to be seen. Since I didn't see a scattering of feathers I'm assuming that the neighbourhood cats didn't get it and that he was reunited with his parents.