spinning rods and reels

Hey guys I have gotten to the point where some of my old spinning setups aren't satisfying me anymore (especially after using a couple of my friends spinning setups), and am looking to purchase a few new medium quality rods and reels to match up with some existing things I have that are of decent quality and condition.

For 'existing inventory', I have a 6'0 ML st. croix premier and a fairly large quantum resource 30 spinning reel. The rest of my stuff is either lower quality or pretty beat up. I am thinking about setting up these 3 combos:

5'6 UL st. croix triumph paired with a shimano sedona 1000FD & 4 lb mono (small stream brookie rod)

6'0 ML st. croix premier paired with a shimano sahara 2500FD & 6 lb mono (bass/trout/panfish rod)

6'6 M st. croix avid paired with my quantum resource 30 & 10 lb braid (bass and small pike rod)

Will be getting a heavy baitcaster for pike/musky later but thats an entirely different animal..

So, my questions are:

what do you think about these setups? are they good for their intended uses?

in your opinion, do you think all the rods and reels match up with each other weight wise (don't want the setup to feel to butt heavy). My quantum resource 30 reel is pretty heavy and has a large capacity and I hate the feeling of a really off-balanced rod.

I'd be more then happy to hear any other suggestions of what to look at, but please keep in mind I'm only 16 so can't really go out and purchase a top-of-the-line G.Loomis or such.

Thanks a lot,

Matt.

id probably go with a 6'6 - 7ft, M to MH rod with a 2500 size reel with 20lb braid. good all around setup
I would agree get a 7ft MH rod with a 20lb braided line that's what I use as well. When I upgraded from a 6'6" rod I really noticed the difference in casting distance. My next Rod will be a Abu Garcia Vilain 7'1" MH it's only 8-14lb test, but it still somehow has more backbone than my couple 8-17lb rods which is what I prefer for an all around rod. Edited by Gray_Wolf

OK thanks guys.. so heres the new idea then:

5'6 UL st. croix triumph paired with a shimano sedona/sahara 500/750FD & 4 lb mono (resident brookies)

6'0 ML st. croix premier paired with a shimano sahara 1000FD & 6 lb mono (panfish, stream trout, bass, walleye)

7'0 MH st. croix avid paired with my quantum resource 30 & 16-20 lb braid (bass and pike)

the UL setup will have to wait a bit, I don't have the money to purchase all this stuff at once, but I will probably go back out today and take a good look at the sahara 1000FD and a 7'0 MH avid.

one more thing, what type of line would you spool up my potential MH combo with? would a spool of 300 yd fireline original be a good choice?

The Sahara 1000FD is my go to ultralight reel (with 6lb mono), paired with a 5'6" ultralight st croix premier.

I also pair it with a 6'0" st croix med-light premier. I landed a 25" steelhead from the Credit River this spring with this setup, and numerous 16-20" browns.

My Symetre 2500FD is paired with a 6'6" Fenwick (my old beater rod) used for portage canoe trips.

For everyday fishing the Symetre is paired with my 7'0" med St croix avid with 10lb or 8lb mono. I hate using braid because as soon as it gets less than 1/2 a season on it the casting distance shrinks by close to half. Though, I'm not ripping it threw weeds and over branches.

Check out Sail because they have most if not all of their Shimano reels on 25% off or thereabouts.

No need to buy anything more expensive than an Avid if going with St. Croix. The differences are not worth the extra $$ in my opinion. I do find a big difference between the Premier and Avid though.

The 2500 reel is going to be too heavy for the 6'0" ML rod.

You'd want a 1000 size reel for that one. Sahara comes in a 750 size I believe, which would be perfect for the 5'6" rod.

As riverfisher said, a 6'6"-7'0" MH rod with a 2500 reel and 20lb braid is a very versatile setup.

I disagree. Most 2500 size reels aren't much heavier then a 1000 size. Just a larger spool.

A 2500 size would be no problem on that rod. Just pick one that feels good to u on the rod u intend to use.

So, I went to sail, bought a saros 2500FD (was on sale 25% off). I grabbed a 6'0 ML premier and put it on for a test and they felt great. I tried the sahara 1000 and 2500 as well, but they were either too small or heavy. The Saros seemed to be perfect, it balanced very nicely with the rod. I spooled it up with 6 lb mono, and am going to try it out for some panfish/bass in a few minutes!!!

I think I am going to get a 7'0 MH avid soon, I looked at it as well and was pleased with it. I will let you guys know when I finally purchase, I still am thinking a lot about it.

Thanks again for your help!!

Matt.

I'm not a Fireline fan, but some guys are. All personal preference.

I've been using 20lb PowerPro Super 8 Slick all season, and I prefer it over any other of the braided / superlines.

To save money, you could combine the first two combos - they seem very similar. You could go 6'0" UL for the stream fish and pannies, and then that leaves you more money for a general purpose 7'0"/2500 combo for bass, walleye, and pike.

I agree with Sinclair, these are two great setups in terms of multi species setups.

P.S. thanks for putting me on the walleye, and more smallies than we could count.... Maybe if you ditched that bright white dental floss Nanofil..... :P

ouch, that's just cold... :mellow:

I was using 3 diff. lines and the duracast was one. A guide shold put people on fish just like I did but that's not for this topic... :whistling:

Edited by GBW