Anyone local to Fort Frances???

brkygetr

Well I am on my out to Fort Frances for a month on route to Great Slave Lake for the summer...I was out there once last summer and got to do a little driving around and exploring but am definaetly 'green' to that part of the province. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the trout action out that way. I found a few nice back river walleye spots though it won't be open till the long weekend in May. I was gonna do some bushwacking for some specks and possibly shoreline lakers..basically untill I get out there and hit up the MNR for a recent stocking list I am not even sure if that part of the province has much trout to offer...though I have fished west of Nipigon on several occasions and had excellent sucess.

So anyone out there got any info on the trout action????

Brkygetr

not necessarily looking for spots...just wondering what I am getting into out there...am I gonna have to travel 2 hours to find some trout? better to head east, west or north?? Do I need a 4x4, a boat, ect. (which by the way I am gonna have neither of ) Is there much stream fishing or mainly lakes?

Any help would be appreciated...

Brkygetr

There is one lake about a 40 minute drive east of Fort Frances that Has been stocked with splake and was stocked years ago with speckles. The lake is only about 1/2 mile of the highway down a well maintained logging road. Possible to catch from shore but a canoe or small skiff will get you around. The lake is only about a mile long and a mile wide. I don't know of any streams in the area for trout. I usually go after lakers if I am going for trout.

With the many logging roads in the area you can get to a lot of small lakes without 4x4 if you are prepared to walk a short distance into them

There is one lake about a 40 minute drive east of Fort Frances that Has been stocked with splake and was stocked years ago with speckles. The lake is only about 1/2 mile of the highway down a well maintained logging road. Possible to catch from shore but a canoe or small skiff will get you around. The lake is only about a mile long and a mile wide. I don't know of any streams in the area for trout. I usually go after lakers if I am going for trout.

With the many logging roads in the area you can get to a lot of small lakes without 4x4 if you are prepared to walk a short distance into them

Hey Rickster thanks for the info..I am out here now and have to spend the next few days trying to find a place to live..after that I am trout bound...if you are still in the Emo area and want to hook up just let me know...I got all day, every to fish...heading to the MNR today to get a stocking list and I definaetly don't mind walking to get to a lake so hopefully I will have something to report by the end of the week...by the way do you know any places to stay in the area????

Brkygetr

ok...well made it out yesterday for a few on the only lake around that reportedly has specks.... Apperently there is not much speck fishing out this way (VERY little natural)...drove past all the speck areas in the dark on the way here..anyways managed to find the lake with no problems and hook into a few little guys...though when I got them in I was surprised to see that they were splake and not specks. Fishing from shore was a bit of a pain in the butt as the bush cover was thick, and so were the ticks!!!! Did more than one happy dance in a clearing to make sure they were not hangin on.

Throwing Mepps and Blue fox spinners did the trick, though just as I was ready to leave the wind calmed and the fish started to rise like crazy for the flys..couldn't get a look at one to see what the hatch was...saw some nice fish though so goin back this weekend with a floating tippet attached to a bobber and a selection of flys... never tried this before but as fly fishing is out of the question I think this just might work.

Also got a hold of the regional biologist and got some good insight from him. If ya ever need information these are the people to talk to, the info is free and readily given (minus of-course their own personal honeyholes!!).

Lots of lakers if I am willing to drive so I think that is also in the works.

Really gonna try to get some pics on here for next time, its just the little guys are not really worth the time with the camera and they are not much for stress so got them back in quick.

Cheers to all

Brkygetr