Balsam Lake Report

jedimaster

Well the plan was to do some serious Musky fishing for a few days, but the first outing of trolling is all we managed to do. We didn't get any takers but I had 3 follows, one looked like a tiger. We also had a huge one cruise by use while Bass fishing with its head clear out of the water. Unfortunately no pics or video of that one. I was too busy casting in front of it trying to entice it to bite a spinner bait. :)

We spent 6 days at Balsam Lake PP, we got rained on twice but it was great fun regardless..

When the rain dried up...

IMG_8732_1024x712.jpg

We had a few friends stop by for snacks...

IMG_8663_1024x739.jpg

This guy stuck around for about 30 minutes checking every nook and cranny for a snack.

IMG_8743_1024x700.jpg

The evening stars were great...

IMG_8829_1024x683.jpg

and we did manage to boat several good sized bass... here is the biggest from the kids.

IMG_8784_577x866.jpg

I managed to boat a PB kawartha Smallie. Well over 5 pounds, unfortunately no picture. Was caught on a crankbait in the shallows I believe the water temp was about 74 degreesin that area and it was mid afternoon. Another great catch was a double header smallie... Now when I say double header, I mean two fish at the same time on the same lure. It was a floating X-Rap. Hooked one and another smacked it. Boated both. They were about 1.5 pounds each. One hooked on the front treble and the other on the rear treble. First time I have ever boated a pair like that. I have hooked a few like that but never managed to get them to the boat.

Anyway, if anyone is considering a trip to Balsam Lake, its well worth it the campgrounds were clean and the staff friendly. The free boat launch was great and was never too busy. I wish we had more time to go fishing for musky but alas time was not on our sides as we lost 2 days of fishing from the rain.

P.S. a big thanks to everyone that shared some spots with us they were all very helpful and that where we manage to see some musky.