do my friends from Ohio need a boaters licence?

tb4me

I have friends from Ohio comming this way with thier boat..Question is do they need a boters licence? They come to fish the Trent every year..They always have the boat filled with a few cases of beer under the cover for me so im really looking forward to seeing them! mmmm cheap beer!lol thanks guys!

No they don't, because the boat is registered in the US. That is, unless they're going to stay for a prolonged period, over 45 days. They must be able to show they're not from ON. A driver's licence or similar would be fine.

If they operate YOUR boat, they have to show proof of competency.

Here are the requirements

EDIT: added ID requirement

Edited by whiskywizard

Awesome Johnnyb.. That actually made me laugh!

Worse than that, their bringing in the watered down US beer YUCK! :sarcasm::blink:

Thats actually a myth.. Canadian Coors light is 4% and the American Coors Light is 4.3%

Where does this beer myth come from?

American beer used to use alcohol by weight to denote the alcohol content in beer. Some areas still use alcohol by weight, but there has been an effort to convert to alcohol by volume in the past decade. Alcohol by volume is a better metric.

Alcohol by volume is the percentage of the liquid which is alcohol. For example if you had 100 ml which contained 4 ml of alcohol, the alcohol by volume is 4%. Alcohol by weight measures the mass of a substance in a mixture as a percentage of the mass of the entire mixture. So if you had 100 grams which contained 4 grams of alcohol, the alcohol by weight is 4%. It looks like the two are the same, but they are not.

You get into trouble comparing ABV and ABW because is alcohol weighs less than water. Alcohol is less dense, about 4/5 as dense as water. The density of alcohol is 0.79336. Alcohol by volume is the alcohol by weight times the density.

ABV = ABW * 0.79336

This means if your beer is 4% ABV, the beer is only 3.17% ABW. Since Canadian beers use ABV and American beers were using ABW, many thought Canadian beers were stronger. The myth persists to this day, even though American beers are starting to use the same metric.

Another reason is you are allowed to market the alcohol strength in Canada, but not in the United States. You cannot advertise “this beer will get you drunk” due to alcohol laws, nor can you promote your brand based on the alcohol content. Different states even have different regulations on how strong the beer can be. These help contribute to the “Canadian beer is stronger” myth.

What some miss on the proof of competency requirements for foreign boaters is that the exemption only applies to the boats owner for stays of the boat for less than 45 days.

Relatives or friends are not exempt from proof of competency.

If the boat stays in Canada 45 days or longer exemption is not valid. It is how long the boat is in Canada not how long the owner is.

It sounds like beer has made you smarter. I hope you dont mind if i use this cliff clavenesque explanation of alcohol content at my next garage drinking session

lol be my guest! :thumbsup_anim:

Thats actually a myth.. Canadian Coors light is 4% and the American Coors Light is 4.3%

Where does this beer myth come from?

Comes from the unfortunate fact that people persist in referring to Coors Light as beer, despite all sensible evidence to the contrary. :whistling:

Comes from the unfortunate fact that people persist in referring to Coors Light as beer, despite all sensible evidence to the contrary. :whistling:

lol funny Dave..id rather a bottle of that single malt...

Now I'm sorry I gave you a real answer about the PCOC. I could have just given you grief about your beer choices. :lol:

Thanks for the info! you the man! Things have a wierd way of geting off topic around here, so I just go with the flow..Espically when it comes to beer...lol

It sounds like beer has made you smarter. I hope you dont mind if i use this cliff clavenesque explanation of alcohol content at my next garage drinking session

alcohol only kills the slow and stupid brain cells, I culled the herd with a case of moosehead last night and ready for finite math today