Port Bruce Fishing

rhymobot

Hi.

My buddy wants me to drive him to Port Bruce for a fishing derby that his friend is putting on. He said my fee will be covered since we're going from Mississauga all the way out there. So before I agree I wanna know if there's decent fishing there this time of the year.

Anyone know this area?

1. What is the name of that river or creek?

2. Is it easy to launch an inflatable there somewhere near the mouth and go upstream?

3. What species are there this time of the year?

Thanks a lot.

The name of the creek is catfish creek. At the mouth of the creek there is a steel wall which is about 6 feet above the creek which blends into a pier which is always lined with perch fishermen. It may be better to launch up stream at one of the marinas or there is a launch by one of the bridges. The creek contains catfish, suckers and sheephead. Off the pier they catch some nice perch. If you go off shore say 7 miles you can troll for rainbow trout and walleye.

You will want to take pickerel rigs, heavy sinkers, a 6ft minnow net or be prepared to buy your minnows, and a couple minnow buckets to keep them in.... Lures only work for walleye, and rainbows and you have to go out a lot further than I would in an inflatable.

North Erie Marina is the place to launch down there, the service in incredible, in fact there was a posting recently on this forum about that. The perch fishing is great down there, I think they are getting them in about 35-40 feet now West of Catfish creek. A tournament there a few weeks ago had the biggest 5 perch well over 5lbs in total. The link below is to another forum that has a ton of reports on Port Bruce fishing and that general area, plus many great stories about the customer service at North Erie marina.

http://www.longpoint.on.ca/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2

thanks for the great info.

so just to confirm, the creek is more than 30 feet deep? is this upstream and downstream? i don't wanna go within 100 metres of the mouth in my rinky dinky little 12 foot dingy.

if it's basically just perch i'm gonna catch i think i'll have to pass since i'm like a 85% bass guy. sheephead seems like a good alternative to bass for one day but i've heard they're not the easiest fish to get.

The creek is no where near 30 feet deep. I have about 15to 18 feet of rope on my minnow net and from the top of the wall it easily reaches the bottom. I would be surprised if it is deeper than 12 feet anywhere. I think lures would be useless in the (very dirty ) creek. Fishing the creek with worms, chicken livers ,or minnows should yield catfish. There is a lot of boat traffic on the weekends. Best of luck!

If the lake allows you, you could probably go out a few hundred yards from the pier, anchor and catch some perch and Sheepies... also, great place for kids with on the beach...

HH

Edited by Headhunter

I've been on the creek with my kayak - it's a bit deeper by the hwy bridge 12ft +/-. There are a few spots at the upstream meanders where the depth can reach 10ft. But overall the creek is shallow and you can catch catfish, carp, sheepshead, silver bass and the odd rock bass or perch.

If the lake is real calm, you could venture offshore a bit for perch - I've caught them fishing off the beach at the provincial park.

Good luck.

Can't say enough great things about north shore marina. Great guys. I have been out to 50 feet for the perch. A few 12 inchers. Dicey in an inflatable. Weather can change fast. 6 foot swells are not uncommon. Low nw winds are the best

Edited by pylon

As mentioned you can NOT go wrong stopping at North Erie Marina for minnows... If you want to fish for bass I understand going to places off of long point would be best. Perch is the main target off of the pier or within a few miles of the river at Port Bruce, although the variety of fish I have seen and caught personally on the pier would shock you... That being said, the instances of anything being landed but Yellow perch, sheephead, white bass, white perch are quite rare in comparison.

As mentioned you can NOT go wrong stopping at North Erie Marina for minnows...

$5 for a scoop of minnows and it would be difficult to find better customer service anywhere. I can't wait for Saturday to arrive so I can go launch there. Greg and gang have a great operation.