going to sparrow lake for a week

I am going to sparrow lake in a few days (leave on saturday) and I am looking for some advice on fishing for a few species.

I know there are LMB, SMB, pike, muskie, walleye, crappie, perch, sunfish, dogfish, and channel cats in the lake. I have caught at least one of every species in there except for muskie. It is my goal to catch one of each species but I have never caught the muskie (never caught one before actually). I am wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction on the lake to find muskie and walleye, as well as what types of lures to use to catch them. Those are the two I had trouble with last year, I caught a walleye only by luck and no muskie. I only need to catch one of each to complete my "goal", so any spot that could even just have a few of that species would work.

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by northernpike56

I've never targeted musky on Sparrow but Ive caught a few along the pencil weed lines on the west side of the lake.Hope that helps

I've never been to Sparrow Lake so can't offer anything really, but if there are indeed pencil reeds, that's a place muskies definetely hang out.

Toss some large spinnerbaits in there and work them fast through the reeds and you should do OK

Edited by lew

I'm wondering if the lack of responses is due to others having trouble with those species on Sparrow as well.

I have to admit, I've only been able to catch walleye at the river mouth in the springtime while during the rest of the year...nada. So I've always just gone after bass at this time of year.

Sorry to have been of no help, but consider this another 'bump.'

Edited by Mike Pike

Thanks for the responses now I have a bit of info on how I might catch a muskie. I got a huge spinnerbait like 6" long, and now I have some ideas of where to look.

I am leaving tomorrow for a week then visiting some friends on Lake Muskoka. I will have internet access so if I get one I will let you know.

Edited by northernpike56

Walleye are pretty easy - forget the lake and fish the Severn River instead. Just watch your prop and stay between the buoys when you drive through the NW corner of the lake ..... lots of rocks that just love to eat lower units.

There are a few muskie in Sparrow, but it is not a particularly good muskie lake. Try the big spinnerbait, or a big Husky Jerk.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Or better yet just go fish Lake Muskoka for walleye.

Anyone have tips for catching dogfish?

I think i am the dogfish master for sparrow lake.. they are all I seem to catch. I caught 1 8 lbs dogfish with a sucker under a float (pike rig), another large one grabbed onto a perch I was bringing in, one hit a jig and pig setup, and I had a bunch of break offs from huge fish that I am assuming were dogfish last year. I have pics but cant seem to post them.

• 2 weeks later...

Musky in Sparrow Lake: I have been fishing Musky in Sparrow Lake for 20 years. This is very difficult fishing in the summer, but can prove to be a lot of fun. I have caught a few and certainly lost some big ones. I have 4 places that I have found to be fruitful.

1. From Island to Island , Bird Island North in about 15 feet. 2. Along the North West Shore in about 20 feet going south from Delmonte to the Buoy. 3. In front of Bayview outside the weed line in about 12 feet. 4. Outside the river entrance you will see a drop off down to 20 feet from 12 feet at Lauderdale point. I am using Tubes with treble hooks and large spinners. You really have to fish the lake hard and target certain areas. I found early evening to be better.There are some huge musky in Sparrow Lake, I have seen them many times on the surface some in the 30-40 pound range. I have caught many Pike in the 12-20 pound range. I do not use live bait, just the Larger Musky sticks spinners and Jerk Baits. I try to get them down to at least 5 feet in deeper water. If you don't believe me, see this 40 pounder!!

http://ontariofishin...pic=37064&st=20

I have also attached a pic of a pike caught last summer.

I caught mine while looking for pike.. shallow, weedy waters in bays.

IMG_1866.JPG

Edited by hugehits

Another Pike caught out of Welsh Bay.

Musky in Sparrow Lake: I have been fishing Musky in Sparrow Lake for 20 years. This is very difficult fishing in the summer, but can prove to be a lot of fun. I have caught a few and certainly lost some big ones. I have 4 places that I have found to be fruitful.

1. From Island to Island , Bird Island North in about 15 feet. 2. Along the North West Shore in about 20 feet going south from Delmonte to the Buoy. 3. In front of Bayview outside the weed line in about 12 feet. 4. Outside the river entrance you will see a drop off down to 20 feet from 12 feet at Lauderdale point. I am using Tubes with treble hooks and large spinners. You really have to fish the lake hard and target certain areas. I found early evening to be better.There are some huge musky in Sparrow Lake, I have seen them many times on the surface some in the 30-40 pound range. I have caught many Pike in the 12-20 pound range. I do not use live bait, just the Larger Musky sticks spinners and Jerk Baits. I try to get them down to at least 5 feet in deeper water. If you don't believe me, see this 40 pounder!!

http://ontariofishin...pic=37064&st=20

I have also attached a pic of a pike caught last summer.

IMG_2439.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just spent two weeks hunting the large musky in Sparrow Lake. the closest I got was Thursday August 9th. It was raining cold about 62 and overcast. I was fishing hIGH island area and hooked a huge one on a http://www.redoctoberbaits.com/ tube.

Had to be over 25 pounds, but he rolled near the boat and spat out the lure. It really sucked!! Going back after him next year. I did catch a huge smallmouth, and a Pike so I am not fretting.

Musky

IMG_3183.JPG

IMG_2439.jpg

I wouldnt bother trying to catch muskies there. Fish pike with the biggest baits you have and you will likely eventually come across a musky. The pike are rather plentiful and will keep you busy enough, as im sure you know already.

Worm harnesses drifted fast or trolled slow (electric motor speed 1) in 15-20feet is how i connected with walleye there, but not many and never a big one.

we have seen walleye at least 8 pounds in this lake a few times. Jig with a mister twister white, and you will catch, especially in the river.

I wouldnt bother trying to catch muskies there. Fish pike with the biggest baits you have and you will likely eventually come across a musky. The pike are rather plentiful and will keep you busy enough, as im sure you know already.

Worm harnesses drifted fast or trolled slow (electric motor speed 1) in 15-20feet is how i connected with walleye there, but not many and never a big one.

Edited by hugehits