Trent Severn

bubbles

Renting a houseboat on the trent severn Mid August for a week and I am looking for some "must sees" along the way. Leaving from Bobcaygon and working on our route for the week, no direction decided as of yet. There will be lots of fishing along the way but I am looking for other things to do and see to maximize the experience for the kids.

Thanks in advance

My advise would be not try to travel too much, head east no farther than Stony or west no farther than Balsam. Beyond those lakes it gets pretty boring with canal/river travel and lock after lock. The last thing you wanna do is hafta rush your last couple days to get back.

We rented a houseboat 2X on the Kawarthan's......first time was way back around 1985 when Three Bouys Houseboats were still in business...I believe it was located on Buckhorn.......then again around 2004......but this time we rented from Egan Houseboats at the very south tip of Pigeon Lake....the Three Bouys boats were a LOT better.....they had covered I/O engines that ran MUCH quieter then outboards....but either way still lots of fun....

We went as already mentioned....east to Stony and west to Balsam Lake...

You want to spend some time at Bobcaygeon, and DON'T miss Fenlon Falls....you should be able to spend the night at both locks for at least 24 hours....it use to be 48 hours if I remember correctly.

Bobcaygeon is a great little town that you can go out and have dinner, shop or just get a ice cream cone....lots to do there....

Fenlon Falls is a picture perfect place with a large waterfall and a family restaurant overlooking it....you dock there on a peninsula that separates the lock area from the waterfalls.....Fenlon Falls is also a nice small town that you can walk around, get supplies, dinner, etc....

The first time when we booked with Three Bouys at the Toronto boat show they gave us a VERY nice book that described each lock and town and what you can expect to find there....like groceries or a beer / liquor store....VERY helpful......I think I still have it...

Burleigh Falls is also another "small" area to visit and it's right by Stony Lake....unless you really know that area I wouldn't go any further east....MANY rocks from there on east until you get into the middle of Stony Lake...by then you may have a damaged prop or worse...the houseboats don't come with a depth finder....go figure...they want to repair damaged boats...extra income for them.

Both times we towed a fishing boat behind us......of course that was a extra charge at the locks......but the first time the houseboat lock pass was included in the rental fee......now I see many houseboat rental company's don't include the lock pass...it's a extra charge...so check on that.......

One last thing.....Egan had a early boarding option......for a extra $99 you could get on the boat the evening before and either head out or just stay the night at the dock and get a early start the next morning....that's really a deal when you figure the weekly cost divided by 7....just something to think about.

YOUR GONNA HAVE A BLAST.......

Good Luck,

Bob

Buy a PORTS Cruising Guide to the Trent-Severn and Lake Simcoe ($37.95). Every marine store along the Trent sells them, or you can order from West Marine or directly online at portsbooks.com (warning - the website sucks, but the books are pretty good). These books have everything - marinas, launch ramps, restaurants, stuff to do, where to find the LCBO and beer store - you name it. They're also full of aerial photos, so you can also find some awesome fishing spots!

PORTS also sells guides to Georgian Bay/Lake Huron, Lake Ontario & the Thousand Islands, and the Rideau Canal/Ottawa River.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Thanks for the feedback guys,

BB - that is exactly what I was hoping for, thanks for the detailed response.

Craig - thanks - I think I will buy it, good to have

Looking forward to the trip and will post when we return.