Lake Bernard

strik

Hey guys going to try some family camping in a couple weeks at lake benard. Trying to figure out if i should haul the boat for the 4 1/2 hr drive

I have a 19 ` Alum mostly used for great lakes fishing .. Just wondering what the lake is like. Any bad spots to keep a eye on. Should i bring the riggers. Anyone know of a map for the area i found one online however it never showed that much . Not looking for any hot spots just a general idea

We are camping at lake bernard camp not sure how good thier ramp facilties are..

Thanks

yep thanks for that fishlogic

Edited by strik

I am not sure if you mean Lake Bernard in Sundridge or not, but if so, here is a map of the lake I found online. Not sure if that's what you were looking for?

th_Bernard-scan0074.jpg

Don't know much else about the lake as I've only fished it in the winter.

Edited by FishLogic

Hey guys going to try some family camping in a couple weeks at lake benard. Trying to figure out if i should haul the boat for the 4 1/2 hr drive

I have a 19 ` Alum mostly used for great lakes fishing .. Just wondering what the lake is like. Any bad spots to keep a eye on. Should i bring the riggers. Anyone know of a map for the area i found one online however it never showed that much . Not looking for any hot spots just a general idea

We are camping at lake bernard camp not sure how good thier ramp facilties are..

Thanks

yep thanks for that fishlogic

You won't need a boat that big for Bernard. Might save some gas and see if there is a boat you can rent there. If you do bring your boat bring your down riggers. No bad spots on the lake...in fact...it is the world's largest body of fresh water without an island.

Fish species in the lake include smallmouth bass, lake trout, whitefish, yellow perch and rock bass. Because Lake Bernard is large and deep, fishing is relatively poor for bass, but quite good for lake trout and whitefish.

Last time I was there was over 25 years ago, and the only thing I really remember is hitting a HUGE rock in the middle of the lake with the rental. It wasn't marked and nobody warned me about it... My 2 cents.... Oh, and I got my first pike that week...

I'll be up at the cottage on July 5th to July 8th which is two minutes from lake Bernard camp.

There is a very shallow launch right in front of the camp ground. There is a better launch on the other side of the lake in Sunridge

Definitely bring downriggers as you will want to troll deep for lakers. There are also a few rainbows in the lake. I have done quite well for smallmouth as well in front of high rock and Bernard creek as well as in the shallows close to Sunridge

If you are up for a short drive there is a great largie / smallie and pike lake five minutes north of Sunridge. Message me if u want details

Have fun up there it's a beautiful lake be sure to take the kids up to high rock lookout it's pretty neat