Trailer tires

icefisherman

My boat trailer has two of the 5.30-12 tires.

It says: Sure Trail ST, Carlisle, Max Load 1045 Lbs at 80 psi, 2 plies on it.

One of them has been giving me problems over the past year by slowly loosing air. It is totaly flat now again. Not sure where can I get a good price on new tires/wheels with tires on them/

Is it worth repairing the bad one now, or just replacing both tires at the same time?

What would be good price on a new tire or tire with wheel?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

My boat trailer has two of the 5.30-12 tires.

It says: Sure Trail ST, Carlisle, Max Load 1045 Lbs at 80 psi, 2 plies on it.

One of them has been giving me problems over the past year by slowly loosing air. It is totaly flat now again. Not sure where can I get a good price on new tires/wheels with tires on them/

Is it worth repairing the bad one now, or just replacing both tires at the same time?

What would be good price on a new tire or tire with wheel?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

I was just at Princess Auto in Oshawa earlier today looking at trailer parts. They had some 12" tires and rims on sale for 59.00, I think they were the 5.30-12 ones but im not 100%. I just checked on their catalogue and they are regularly $74.99 and for just the tire they are 44.99.

Not sure what these prices are like compared to anywhere else. They are the first place that Ive checked.

Pinch

Hi Emil, your tire may or may not be repairable. It is losing air four possible ways;

-Leaking from the bead: rusty rim not allowing the tire to seal against the rim.

-Puncture: nail, screw or cut.

-Rot: tire rotting from the inside out and leaking through weather cracks in the sidewall.

-Valve: dirt preventing the valve from sealing or corrosion causing it to stick.

With the tire off the ground and fully inflated, take soapy water and a sponge and squeeze a little on the tread as you rotate the tire. Watch for the soap bubbles where it is leaking. Keep wetting the tire working inwards toward the rim. If you still don't see bubbles try around the valve.

If the tire is wheather cracked, toss it. Valves can be replaced, rims can be cleaned for a good seal and punctures can be patched. If you're replacing one tire, make sure it's the same size obviously but also make sure it is of the same construction as the other tire... radial/radial or bias ply/bias ply.

-Brian

I'm probably gonna get some grief for this but... I replaced my 12 inch tires with RADIALS from WALLYMART on sale. It cost me $25 each installed/balanced on my old rims! So I bought one for my spare as well. Been running them for 5 years now, rotating them 3 ways. NO PROBLEMS as of yet!

My boat is a 14.5 footer with a 25 Merc. so the weight is not too much. You will need to do the math for your application, especially for a bigger outfit. They sure do smooth out the bumps & tow nice!!

Ft

I'm probably gonna get some grief for this but... I replaced my 12 inch tires with RADIALS from WALLYMART on sale. It cost me $25 each installed/balanced on my old rims! So I bought one for my spare as well. Been running them for 5 years now, rotating them 3 ways. NO PROBLEMS as of yet!

My boat is a 14.5 footer with a 25 Merc. so the weight is not too much. You will need to do the math for your application, especially for a bigger outfit. They sure do smooth out the bumps & tow nice!!

Ft

I wouldn't advise passenger car radials for everybody but for a light outfit like yours they'll be fine. Trailer tires are ST (Special Trailer) rated and have stronger sidewalls. The sidewalls are intended to withstand prolonged storage and reduce sway. If your trailer is prone to swaying, passenger car radials will accentuate the sway.

-Brian

Before you buy a tire at a place like Princess Auto, check the load rating of your current tire. I was planning to purchase a tire there but realized it was cheaper because it was rated lower. I bought a replacement at Canadian Tire, they do come on sale there every now and again. I've also used inner tubes before if the rubber is good, no problems. Andy

Before you buy a tire at a place like Princess Auto, check the load rating of your current tire. I was planning to purchase a tire there but realized it was cheaper because it was rated lower. I bought a replacement at Canadian Tire, they do come on sale there every now and again. I've also used inner tubes before if the rubber is good, no problems. Andy

Well I just came back from CT...they will give me the sale price even though the sale was over last week. Sale price will be $73. A bit pricey I thought...this includes the rim though.......tire only (special order) is $62 but I am sure they'll charge me good for putting it on and will endup more expensive at the end.

As I said earlier my current tires are rated at 1045 Lbs. I have 16' fiberglass with 60HP motor on it and it is quite heavy rig. Not sure what the CT tire was rated for or those ar Princess Auto.

Canadian Tire ones says "Super Sport" on the side.

Can I only replace one tire or do I have to do both at the same time?

Just trying to save some money as those tires are as expensive as the ones for my car :wallbash::worthy:

Or I might just try to repair the old one as it has no cracks, good thread left on it and a local shop asked me for $25 to repair it.

Thanks for all your replies guys.

Ice Fisherman

I would also advice against passenger car tires (as stated by slowpoke), they are not rated for trailer use and at one point MTO was considering to fine people if used on trailers, I am not sure if it was ever implemented but the point is that its not rated and safe for trailer duty, mainly because of thinner side walls.

I have heard about a lot of problems with Carlisle trailer tires, they may be OK for a while with small loads but I wouldn't buy one,

get a set of Goodyear Marathon radials(trailer tires), make sure they are rated for your trailer load. keep them properly inflated and they will last you a long time.

I would also advice against passenger car tires (as stated by slowpoke), they are not rated for trailer use and at one point MTO was considering to fine people if used on trailers, I am not sure if it was ever implemented but the point is that its not rated and safe for trailer duty, mainly because of thinner side walls.

I have heard about a lot of problems with Carlisle trailer tires, they may be OK for a while with small loads but I wouldn't buy one,

get a set of Goodyear Marathon radials(trailer tires), make sure they are rated for your trailer load. keep them properly inflated and they will last you a long time.

For one, Good for a Year doesn't make Marathons in that size, and, guess where the Goodyear trailer tires are now made.....yup, same place as Nankook, Carlisle, Titan, Dico, Trailer King, and all the others...so quality is about the same, like running a pair of black eggs under the trailer.