One Big brook Trout and something else

How come the Brookie has such vibrant colors this time of the year? Isn't that supposed to happen in the fall? I am looking at the marked white lines around the reddish fins.

They are always coloured up, even more in the fall.

It's a brown. :wallbash: I've also never caught a brown with red spots? [when not in spawning mode] :dunno:

Have caught thousands of browns. They have red spots.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v615/shiffy/?action=view&current=biggestbrown.jpg

Main difference is mouth size. Scroll down for differences.

http://www.fishcreeksalmon.org/atlantic-salmon-id.htm

Edited by ehg

If that's an Atlantic, it must have one hell of a vertical jump to make it in from the big lake.

I also say it's an Atlantic salmon. Here where I live, we catch a lot of landlocked Atlantic salmon and they ressemble the one in the photo.....when caught in a river system. Out on a large lake, they are silver coloured.

I also say it's an Atlantic salmon. Here where I live, we catch a lot of landlocked Atlantic salmon and they ressemble the one in the photo.....when caught in a river system. Out on a large lake, they are silver coloured.

If you knew where this fish was caught, there is absolutely no possible chance it made it up from Lake Superior. Seeing that someone else caught a brown on that same river system in the same week, I think brown trout is the easy choice.

Will be interesting to see what with the MNR comes back with though after seeing the picture.