Outdoor Extension Cord To Plug In Onboard Charger

Blue_Axela

As a first time boat owner, I need some advice from the experts here. I purchased an 2 bank onboard charger for my boat at BassPro. It has a maintainance/float feature where it will float the battery charge to keep it ready for fishing.

From my cottage to the boat lift & dock, there is about 150 ft. so I'll need to get a extension cord to plug in the charger. Since I'll be leaving it outside 24/7, what type of extension cord do I need? Do I just use the same ones that I use for the garden electronics or do I need a special type to withstand UV, water and etc?

What do you boat owners use?

First of all think safety, In the states that distance for the amount of amps drawn whould overheat your extention cord, if your breaker box permits it I would run a outlet box(Weather proof) with outdoor wiring and a ground fault interupter close to the area. code compliant if required by local juristiction., and a extension cord in the 12 ga. range outdoor rated .

Okay, I'll agree with going with the outdoor weatherproof box, somewhere close to your dock, however, a 12 ga. extension cord from there to the boat is mega overkill. When going from 120V to 12V, you only need 1/10 the amps at 120V AC to provide that current at 12V DC. In other words, a 12V 10 amp charger only takes 1 amp at 120V AC. Even a two bank charger might approach 3 amps at 120V AC.

Guest lundboy

My charger (Minkota) stated specifically the size of extension to use. 10 gauge for 100 ft., 8 gauge for 150. It even went as far as to say that if there is damage to the charger because of the use of an inadequate extension cord, the warranty is void.

I managed to find a 100' 10 gauge at Home Depot for about a $1/foot. Bright yellow. Don't know if they had a 150' 8 gauge though.